Taurus PT1911

Guest texas308

Guest texas308

Ok so my cousin wants a PT1911. If anyone has one, what do you like/dislike about it and what sort of problems have you had if any?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I have a 9mm PT1911 that is a few months old. Have fired at least 500 rounds but probably not near 1000. It seems to run fine.

Unless I'm shooting it with real bad technique, the point of aim seems an inch or two low and to the right at 12 yards (my usual shooting distance). The groups are at least as tight as I get from any other pistol. The group is just a little low and to the right.

After every range trip have been tapping on the sights and it is getting closer. I only tap a barely discernable movement each time. Eventually will get it lined up.

I think the "aiming a little low" at 12 yards is maybe to be expected. I read some places on the web that the PT1911 pistols are intended to zero at 25 yards (or maybe 50 yards, can't recall). It would be expected to be a little low at shorter ranges. I think the fix for that is just to aim a little higher at closer distances. Put the front sight on-top of the bullseye rather than right below the bullseye. That is only a dumb guess.

Am not unhappy with the gun. Just splainin the only issue I've seen. Lots of guns need sight adjustments after purchase.

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest texas308

Thanks for the input I've always thought taurus made reliable stuff. I owned one before I sold it and got a 1911 but I liked shooting it and it functioned flawlessly. It just wasn't a PT so Im not familiar with thy model gun. Anyway thanks !

My first 1911 was (and is) a PT1911 I bought from an older gentleman at a gun show. Never had any kind of problem with it, and it's a fine shooter. (Even made the grips myself.)

02a98c53.png

Edited by JPS
Guest 73challenger

I have a PT1911 as well. I think I have fired around 1000-1500 rounds through it. It has only had one malfunction but a girl was shooting it who had never shot before. I'm sure she was limp wristing it(however she had very good groups). Accuracy wise it shoots better than I do. I grouped better with it in my HCP class than the guy beside me with a Kimber if that means anything.

Guest 73challenger
Do your cousin a favor and have him look into the Ruger instead, it is a much better built 1911 and their customer service is superior

I do love my Taurus but would buy a Ruger or a STI Trojan now instead.

Guest texas308
Do your cousin a favor and have him look into the Ruger instead, it is a much better built 1911 and their customer service is superior

I looked into the ruger 1911 and now I want one lol, my wife thanks you.... but anyhow he has shyed away from the taurus and is looking at the sig sauer scorpion 1911. I can't keep up with him...

I looked into the ruger 1911 and now I want one lol, my wife thanks you.... but anyhow he has shyed away from the taurus and is looking at the sig sauer scorpion 1911. I can't keep up with him...

IF he wants cheap, take a look at RIA, everyone who buys them says they are more than happy with those pistols. If he is willing to spend enough to get a sig, he has a LOT of options in the $750-1000 range, at that point its look & feel & whatever else is desired... so many models, so many different ways to do the same thing... take your / his time to decide if you are not going rock bottom cheap, so to get the right one for the person shooting it.

Guest texas308
IF he wants cheap, take a look at RIA

Yes I have a rock island 1911a1 myself and I love it. It has always gone boom for me. Its a basic no lettuce or tomatoes model but it shoots true. Basically he wants a 1911 that is stainless, has a picatinny rail on bottom, and has a hi capacity mag. His price cap is about 1200. Oh yeah and he is the most indecisive person you'll ever meet....sigh

$650.00 for a 1911 forged and built 100 percent in the USA is hardly expensive, it is in fact a bargain the SR1911

I thought the frame was cast and the slide forged on the Ruger? I'd have to go back and look. No big deal really. Plenty of cast frame 1911's out there with 100k rounds on them w/o any breakage. Ruger is as good as anyone in the world at casting. I was simply wondering for the point of clarification.

I thought the frame was cast and the slide forged on the Ruger? I'd have to go back and look. No big deal really. Plenty of cast frame 1911's out there with 100k rounds on them w/o any breakage. Ruger is as good as anyone in the world at casting. I was simply wondering for the point of clarification.

You are correct, I meant to say the slide anyway I shot the crap out of one of them and I own several High end 1911's I will say that south of 1K the Ruger SR1911 is the best buy out there I will be picking one up sooner than later

Yes I have a rock island 1911a1 myself and I love it. It has always gone boom for me. Its a basic no lettuce or tomatoes model but it shoots true. Basically he wants a 1911 that is stainless, has a picatinny rail on bottom, and has a hi capacity mag. His price cap is about 1200. Oh yeah and he is the most indecisive person you'll ever meet....sigh

Ria does have a high cap model, but I dunno about a rail. With 1200 to spend, I cant stress enough taking a good month to choose, that can get you anything short of a custom or semi-custom built one.

You are correct, I meant to say the slide anyway I shot the crap out of one of them and I own several High end 1911's I will say that south of 1K the Ruger SR1911 is the best buy out there I will be picking one up sooner than later

Thanks. I admit that I am intrigued. All reports thus far have been positive. Ruger took their time putting this out and spent quite a lot of time trying to work out kinks beforehand. So we shall see. Time will certainly tell. I have long been a fan of Ruger revolvers and own several double and single action pistols. I also own a number of Ruger rifles. However I have never been a fan at all of their semi-auto pistols, neither in design or function.

Caspian, and the many companies they make frames and slides for, has for many years made some excellent cast frame/forged slide guns. That framework doesn't bother me in the least. I am somewhat less positive about cast frame and slides. Past experience for the companies who have done those have not been great. However past experience in the world of manufacturing, with the advent of new and better techniques, is not always truly indicative of future success. Everyone failed to make a truly successful external extractor 1911, despite many companies trying, for a long time. However S&W and Sig seemed to have it figured out, as an example.

Guest texas308
I cant stress enough taking a good month to choose

totally agree, I like to do lots and lots of research before making a purchase, he on the other hand is an impulse buyer but im going to try and make him take his time before getting one. Thanks for the help if I find something that fits im gonna run it by yall for some input. You can't beat real world experience when it comes to guns...

I think the "aiming a little low" at 12 yards is maybe to be expected. I read some places on the web that the PT1911 pistols are intended to zero at 25 yards (or maybe 50 yards, can't recall). It would be expected to be a little low at shorter ranges. I think the fix for that is just to aim a little higher at closer distances. Put the front sight on-top of the bullseye rather than right below the bullseye. That is only a dumb guess.

If it's got the Heinie sights, they are intended for "center of mass" hold rather than 6:00. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/27171-heinie-straight-eights-love-em-hate-em.html

Guest Lester Weevils
If it's got the Heinie sights, they are intended for "center of mass" hold rather than 6:00. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/27171-heinie-straight-eights-love-em-hate-em.html

Thanks peejman

Have read that Taurus has switched over from Heinie to Novak. Dunno if all the new PT1911 have Novak, but mine does.

Had never used Novak sights and I like em fine. If I'm "getting" the concept, it seems that the front blade is a little narrower than the back slot so when the sights are aligned it is easy to see a sliver of light (in the back notch) on both sides of the front blade. Seems to encourage better horizontal alignment.

But my eyes have trouble seeing black sights even with white-painted dots. I put a HiViz front fiber optic sight on the Ruger Mark II and that is very easy to see. Have been considering gradually putting at least front fiber optics on most of the range guns.

Maybe it would even be better with back fiber optic dots also. Difficult to guess without trying it out.

XS Big Dots are on the Kahr carry gun. The instructions for the Big Dots are to aim 6 o'clock if shooting at a distance, but put the dot right on-top of what you want to shoot close-in. That works well with a Big Dot.

I think with the Beretta 92's I always instinctively put the front sight dot on top of the bullseye when shooting close range, and even my 92FS with factory sights it seems to hit point-of-aim that way.

The appearance of some sights makes it seem "natural" to put them at 6 o'clock and others it seems 'natural' to put them right on the bullseye, without thinking about it. If that makes any sense. But just because it is "natural" doesn't mean it is the correct way to aim any particular sight.

I must admit that I not married to any sight type. I like different ones for different reason and find pros and cons with each. I have Heini's on my 1911 and like them pretty well. I have three dot night sights on a couple of my Glocks, one of them being the Tru-Glo and I like those a lot. I have the XS Big Dot on my G26 and I really like them on that gun. They are close range fighting sights on a close range fighting gun. With some knowledge on how to sight them and practice they are also easily adaptable for fairly long range shots as well. I have used them as well on fighting rifles and dangerous game hunting rifles.

I have found it fairly easy to move from sight picture to sight picture as long as I have spent some time acquainting myself to each type. They do take some time in doing that. As I age I have noticed change in my eye sight and I can see where different sights would be better for people with aging eyes, shall we say. I do prefer night sights especially those with a strong glow. All black sights to me are probably fine for the range, but not for a fighting gun. And 99% of the work I do or practice for is with a fighting gun. I used to plink. I have no time for plinking anymore. :tinfoil:

I've got a PT1911AR and the only complaint I have is I don't really care for a rail, especially when holster selection is involved. However, it landed in my lap at a heck of a deal. I've got over 2K rnds thru mine without a hiccup, mostly reloads. It is by far my most accurate pistol. I do have mine in the shop right now thru no fault of its own. I was short on brass and wanted some so I bought a box of ammo and had an overcharged round. It really did a number on the brass and required a dowel and fiddling to get it out. It bent my extractor which retains FPS and spring so LGS is fixing it for $30 worth of parts. Saved me $30 to FedEx and it's right down the road as opposed to Miami.

I have a full size RIA GI model and it's a good gun too, but I don't shoot it as well as the PT1911. It's more finicky with ammo too. The second mag I shot thru it, one of the grips cracked at the top screw. I don't get hammer bite from it at all even with the less pronounced BTG but the hammer design digs into my side if I try to CC it. I bought it 'cause I wanted a non-railed 1911 to CC with more holster options but it is so uncomfortable.

I want a Ruger 1911 BAD. I saw one guy had one in stock at ### for $725 but I'm reading people getting them for $599 and I'd hate to pay an extra $126. Any body know of a shop with one in stock in the Nashville area?

Brad