Shelby County Public Range

Guest 0down

Guest 0down

I was driving down Walnut Grove on Saturday and noticed some cars at the old Public Range. I drove down there to see if it was open again. The guy I talked to said it was not open to the public but they were members of the Tennessee Trapshooters Association. Has anybody ever heard of them? How come they get to use the range?

I remember going there as a kid with my dad to shoot. It was a great range with many 100 yard lanes. That range really needs to reopen.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I called them and they said that it wasn't available to "rent out" yet the Tennessee Trapshooters Association shows them using that park most months this year. They are supposed to be getting back to me about this.

The question is, if it is available for "rent" by clubs or organizations, who in the Memphis/West Tennessee area is interested in starting a "chapter" of TGO in order to gather funding to be able to "lease" the area.

If it isn't, who in this part of the state is interested in starting a TGO chapter just as a way to get together with families that share similar interests and go shooting/hang out on occassion?

Guest 0down

I am obviously in. If that is the way we have to do it, so be it. What concerns me the most is that since it it is on public land, everyone should be able to shoot there. It was a venture that actually made money for the park.

I am sure I am not the only one that wants that range to reopen. I am sure that there are some businesses that would like to see it open as well. Maybe Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, and local gunshops would be would be interested in the cause.

Either way it is worth a fight.

According to the people I spoke with this morning, the range was cut due to funding. I don't see how since you paid $12 a day to shoot and often times it ran out of lanes due to classes, people staying all day etc. I really enjoyed being out doors and shooting.

Mayhaps we should create this West TN chapter of TGO's and start lobbying these places to get the range re-opened. I can't see where the BMX track is a money maker but it is still open.

Guest GlocKingTN

I as well came by that range on Sunday around 3pm and it was quite a few people there. Im interested in wahtever you guys wanna do! I was going by there Sunday on my way home from the Hospital. I just decided to ride through Shelby Farms because my wife had never seen it. Anyway, Let me know what you guys wanna do!

The man from the Parks commission or whatever it was didn't get back to me yesterday so I will call him again today and I will keep calling him until I get an answer.

Reef, I understand that there was more to it than just what was covered, but it seems to me, that they are still doing the maintenance since the park is still open and the grass is still being cut.

I think starting a chapter for TGO would be good anyway. If not just for getting a public rifle range open, but for legal matters as well. It'd be nice to get a group of us together that could lobby for better gun laws, etc. There is a TN Firearms association, but the more groups the better for all of us.

If anyone in or near the Memphis area is interested in something like this pm me. It'd be great to get an organized group of us together for meetings every once in awhile and such.

Guest db99wj

They have been using the area, on the side of the property near the pond, where the skeet shooting was done I believe, for radio controlled power boat racing. They have buoys set up for the track. I have taken my kids down and watched.

I think starting a chapter for TGO would be good anyway. If not just for getting a public rifle range open, but for legal matters as well. It'd be nice to get a group of us together that could lobby for better gun laws, etc. There is a TN Firearms association, but the more groups the better for all of us.

I'm way across the state, so I won't be joining you, but I think TGO chapters is a good idea. But right now we are just a board and not officially a group - right?

TFA hasn't been too well received over in my area. There is a Morristown chapter. One local guy tried to organize a chapter in the Tri-Cities, but gave up after a couple of meetings. I gave up on them when Harris couldn't even get a convention organized several years ago.

I think a new grassroots group would be good for us. Something like the Virginia Civil Defense League.

Guest 0down

I am sure there are plenty of issues surrounding that range. I know there are trails that run behind it and suburbia has sprung up around it. But surely there is someplace that can be used.

we are just a board and not officially a group - right?
As far as I know we are just software at this point.

As far as a formal organization is concerned, its not a bad idea. I looked at the Virginia Civil Defense League's website. It looks like a good organization with a crappy name. Civil Defense reminds me of cold war preparations.

Any group formed would need a well defined scope, and strong leadership.

I think this is off-topic enough to start a new thread in legislative and political.

• 10 months later...
Guest C4Dave

I talked to a former Shelby Farms Park Ranger today about this issue. He said it was closed because it was losing money, so Wharton pulled the plug. They were paying a Range Master full time, but it wasn't open full time.

He suggested getting a petition together and presenting it to the park operators. The more signatures, the more likely something will be done. They just need to know if there is interest.

In order for it to re-open, it would need a Range Master. Catch 'em Lake, the riding stable, and the Patriot Lake boat rentals are privately owned and operated. They have a contract with Shelby Farms to operate. It may be possible to establish a similar arrangement with the shooting range. Obviously the trap club set something up with them.