Browning A5 help

TNFlyer

I've got a Belgian made Browning A5. And, the gentleman who owned previously used it a lot, but not much in the last few years. Due to that it has a lot of dirt and grime built up in the receiver and on the bolt. The manual is not any help on stripping the receiver for cleaning. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this shotgun cleaned up and functioning properly?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

I can't point you to disassembly instructions but I will advise you to get some decent flat head screwdrivers (gunsmith screwdrivers) for those narrow slotted screw heads. If you don't, you will regret it! Other than that it isn't too bad of a tear down, build up. Clean the mag tube real good once you get the barrel/springs off. Use a low abrasive scotch brite pad and "scrub" in a front to rear direction. NOT circular! Circular will increase friction and is not advised.

I can't point you to disassembly instructions but I will advise you to get some decent flat head screwdrivers (gunsmith screwdrivers) for those narrow slotted screw heads. If you don't, you will regret it! Other than that it isn't too bad of a tear down, build up. Clean the mag tube real good once you get the barrel/springs off. Use a low abrasive scotch brite pad and "scrub" in a front to rear direction. NOT circular! Circular will increase friction and is not advised.

Thanks for the tip on scrubbing the mag tube. And, I know what you mean about the screwdrivers, I acquired a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers a while back for all my projects.

Thanks thats pretty much what I have already and it details the removal of the fore end and barrel. But, I need to get the bolt out of the receiver cause there is lots of accumulated grit and grime in there. There are three pairs of screws on the side of the receiver, but I'm not sure if that thats the ticket to take it down as far as I want to.

Guest GunTroll

Yeah they got to come out to get the bolt out. Since its new to you, I'd want to start with the a clean firearm and a complete tear down, clean, oil, reassemble is the only way to get that. Its really not too bad. I'm not sure instructions are really needed. Rather I think being observant to what you are doing and taking the time to distinguish right from left screws, pins, etc will go a long way. When I'm tearing a new to me firearm down for the first time thats how I do it. Hell, I've been know to draw pictures of really odd firearms to get a half way decent schematic for re-assemble. The trigger assembly is the hardest part of those firearms and they aren't bad honestly. But then I have torn down darn near 50 of them by now so maybe I'm off here.

Yeah they got to come out to get the bolt out. Since its new to you, I'd want to start with the a clean firearm and a complete tear down, clean, oil, reassemble is the only way to get that. Its really not too bad. I'm not sure instructions are really needed. Rather I think being observant to what you are doing and taking the time to distinguish right from left screws, pins, etc will go a long way. When I'm tearing a new to me firearm down for the first time thats how I do it. Hell, I've been know to draw pictures of really odd firearms to get a half way decent schematic for re-assemble. The trigger assembly is the hardest part of those firearms and they aren't bad honestly. But then I have torn down darn near 50 of them by now so maybe I'm off here.

So, if I pull those three screws out I'm not going to have stuff fly all over, and is that my starting point? If I can get a starting point I should be able to figure the rest out.

Where are you in TN? I think I have a book at home with detailed breakdown instructions and pictures. I am south of nashville and work in brentwood.Remember to take out the bolt return spring before trying to pull the bolt. To do that you need to pull the stock. Also becareful with the sear and trigger. Make sure it goes back together in the same configuration as it was when you take it out.They are neat old guns. One time I was cleaning one and the back of the receiver was full of feathers and mud but it still shoot

Where are you in TN? I think I have a book at home with detailed breakdown instructions and pictures. I am south of nashville and work in brentwood.Remember to take out the bolt return spring before trying to pull the bolt. To do that you need to pull the stock. Also becareful with the sear and trigger. Make sure it goes back together in the same configuration as it was when you take it out.They are neat old guns. One time I was cleaning one and the back of the receiver was full of feathers and mud but it still shoot

zgun,

Thanks for the offer I just got the receiver apart. If I can't get it back together I may take you up on that offer. Once, I pulled the screws out of the receiver it was pretty intuitive, so it should go back easily as long as the trigger group is cooperative.

Thanks thats pretty much what I have already and it details the removal of the fore end and barrel. But, I need to get the bolt out of the receiver cause there is lots of accumulated grit and grime in there. There are three pairs of screws on the side of the receiver, but I'm not sure if that thats the ticket to take it down as far as I want to.

Its crude but I was hoping that blown up diagram of each individual part (towards the end of the booklet) would be of some use, beyond the field stripping section. Sounds like you are on the right track now though, but that diagram may help you put it back together if you can see enough detail in it.