Internet check in.

*WHEN HUNTING DEER*

Any of ya'll use this? I was just wondering why I couldn't toss my wife's iPhone in my bag and check it in right there in the field?

Also, if you check it in right there, can you remove the head and leave it out in the woods for all the little scavengers to munch on? Be nice to leave the entrails AND the head out in the sticks and not bring that back home.

Edited by Caster
Clarification
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't even know you had to check in rabbits and dove. Hmm, good thing I don't hunt them.

What are you talking about "garbage"? Are you implying that entrails and a deer head would be LITTERING? That's as dumb as the EPA when they told the local saw mill that the piles of bark and wood could not be touching the ground, but housed in trailers, because as it decomposes, it poisons the water table (true story). Make clear what you meant please.

I'm refering to leaving your deer heads in the woods. Why would you do that? Not sure it's even legal to remove a deer's head before it is removed. Never heard of such, that's a new one on me! Just take it with you and discard it later. I know outside of normal field dressing and removing inards and sex orgains, you cannot remove ANYTHING that would hide the sex of the deer....Hmmmmmm.....Head? I just don't figure it is all.....

If you are hunting a WMA, it is illegal to discard animal carcusses and parts thereof....

Well, it's not illegal on private land, and for that very reason (cannot remove organs or hide the sex) I was wondering about internet check in. I live in the 'burbs. There wasn't a great reception to the last deer I strung up on a gambrel and butchered. No sense in making the nosy neighbors mad if I can check it in over the internet, then gut and skin it while out in the woods. I can quarter that bad boy and pack it in a couple, three coolers. Then I can slice and grind in peace when I get home. I suppose it would be pretty nasty if people did that on public lands, so I'll say that's a good rule now I think about it. But I'll be on private land. There's lots of little opossums and other carrion eaters that would love some "left overs" for a midnight snack.

I see. Last time I did "internet" check in, I had to "print out" my reciept and new temporary kill tag. Even if you check in on the internet, you still have to attach kill tags. I don't know if that works with phones or not.

Not sure I would want to be the guy that got caught coming out of the woods with a skinned and quartered deer packed in a cooler with no permenant tag attached.

I can only offer advice to you. You have to make the final decicisions....

Happy Hunting!

Edited by wd-40

[h=2]Field Dressing Big Game[/h]Evidence of species or sex of big game animals must not be destroyed prior to a permanent kill tag having been issued at a checking station. Normal field dressing, quartering, and icing down of the meat is permitted.

[h=2]Tagging Game & Checking Stations[/h]It is unlawful to move, transport or field dress any big game animal, except for wild hogs, without invalidating and attaching a properly completed temporary kill tag. Landowner, Lifetime license holder, military (on leave with leave papers) and youth under 13 will be issued a temporary kill tag after checking in their first big game animal. If additional animals are to be harvested on that calendar day, the hunter is not required to stop hunting and tag the animal until he/she is ready to move, transport, or field dress the animal.

All animals harvested must be accompanied by one animal with an invalidated temporary kill tag and must be checked in on that calendar day at a big game checking station or the TWRA Big Game Online Check In where one new temporary kill tag will be issued. It shall be illegal for the hunter to hunt on the subsequent calendar day(s) until the previously harvested animal(s) are checked in and a new temporary kill tag is issued. Evidence of species and sex must be available for inspection by Wildlife Officer or Agency designated personnel prior to issuance of permanent game tag.

The permanent harvest tag is a legal document and must be signed by the hunter. By signing the permanent harvest tag, the hunter is affirming that the information, as it appears on the permanent tag, is correct and valid. The permanent game tag must remain with each carcass until final processing.

Persons legally hunting without a license are also required to take any big game animal harvested to a check station. After receiving a temporary harvest tag from checking in their first kill, these persons must comply with all tagging regulations.

All big game taken to a taxidermist to be mounted must be accompanied by documentation showing the permanent game tag number, checking station number, and date of kill.

All youth, or guardians of youth, under the age of 16 that do not have an official TWRA ID# (found on hunting license) must know, or carry with them, their Social Security Number in order to check-in a big game animal. This includes youth hunting under the landowner exemption or youth under the age of 10.

It looks like he may be right, but you have to prove species and sex. So I suppose you need to bring head, hide and sex parts out with you.

It looks like he may be right, but you have to prove species and sex. So I suppose you need to bring head, hide and sex parts out with you.

So basically it ain't worth the trouble. Oh well, thanks WD-40. I appreciate it.

If you can check it in on the internet, you should be able to snap a picture and email it to them to finalize it. I guess that's too easy for the crooked liars out there to use to their advantage.

Guest GunTroll

Do check stations even look at the deer for any of you? I haven't claimed a deer in TN yet. I haven't hunted deer here yet. I have checked in a turkey and they didn't look at it. Just wondering if the check station is suppose to check sex or even lay eyes on it at all.

In MO you phone in your kill(s). I like that system.

The only time I have had a checking station come out to look at my deer was when I killed a good buck.

I used the internet check in for a deer last year. I didn't like not immediately getting the weather-proof replacement temporary kill tag. Also my printer was out of ink so I just saved the permanent tag to my computer.

As to leaving the head in the woods, I'd say you can leave the head, so long as you maintain the sex organs. I would think that since the wording is that you have to "sign" the permanent kill tag to validate it, then checking in on the iphone wouldn't be much advantage.

In MO you phone in your kill(s). I like that system.

Yup I like that too.

I don't understand why you need to check them in at all. Stupid really. The TWRA has a good grasp on the population numbers. They should sit down and figure how many they want harvested and only issue that many kill tags. Quit hassling hunters with needless wastes of time. It's not like any law will affect poachers anyway.