Venison Recipes.

Everyone, at some point or other, asks me what I miss about England. Honestly, there ain't much.

One thing that often creeps, unbidden, into the forefront of my mind though, is our pies. A lunchtime Cornish Pastie (pronounced pass-tee), Cheese & Onion Flat or Pork Pie (Growler), a Lamb & Rosemary Pastie, Steak & Kidney or the humble Meat & 'tatie Pie.

You can buy good quality, easy to eat, pre-wrapped pies & pasties at every gas station, corner shop & convenience store in the country. It's the 'driving food' of choice. Eaten hot or cold, they're all good. Even the crap pies are good!

I miss pies......

So, I figured I'd make some.

This is my, gamey, take on a Cornish Flat.

What I used;

1 Pack of frozen, pre-rolled flakey pastry sheets,

1lb finely hand-ground Vanison (Any ground meat will work),

1 large potato

2 large carrots

1 small turnip (rutabaker?)

1 medium onion, finely diced

salt & pepper (LOTS of corse ground, black pepper)

Basil

Thyme

Cayenne pepper

flour for dusting

egg wash (equal parts egg & milk)

Here's what I did;

Pre-heat the oven to 400º

Brown the ground meat in a large skillet & season well with plenty of salt & pepper.

Dice the potato, carrots & turnip into ¼" cubes & boil unil done. Cook the carrots & turnip for 5 minutes before adding the potato to the pot, so they're all done together. You want your veg well done, not crunchy.

Mix the onion, Basil & Thyme & fry in a small amount of oil until the onion is clear.

Drain the meat & vegetables until dry & mix them all together in a bowl. Add the cayenne pepper to taste (or omit) & a good tablespoon of gound black pepper. The pie is supposed to be peppery.

Allow the mixture to cool & thaw out the pastry sheets for 40-45 minutes.

Once the pastry is thawed & the meat/veg mixture is cool, you'll need to lightly flour a flat work surface. Lay out the pastry sheets & cut into 5"x5" squares (quarter sheets, roughly)

Pile the mixture onto half of the pastry squares (a good handfull) leaving an even ½" clear around the edges. Brush the edges with egg wash & cover the whole thing a square of empty pastry.

Make sure to seal all the way around the edges. (pressing with a fork has always worked for me) Cut a 1" slit in the top of each pie to allow steam & juice to escape & to stop the seams splitting.

Transfer all your Flats onto a greased baking sheet & brush them all over with egg-wash. Put them in the middle of your pre-heated oven at 400º for 30-40 minutes.

Once done, transfer from the oven to a cooling rack & allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.

They're now ready to eat! Enjoy them hot or cold, with or without sauce/ketchup/gravy (HP sauce, if you can find this English wonder-condiment is perfect!). As your Sommellier, I must insist, however, that they be accompanied by a good, cold, Dark Ale (or 6) :clapper:

pies002.jpg

Edited by robtattoo

I have two "secret" ingredients I use to enhance my basic chili recipe.

The first is cumin and cinnamon...gives the flavor a "holiday" feel and vaugely reminds me of my grandmother's pumpkin pie. This needs to be subtle...a little bit of cumin and cinnamon in chili goes a long way.

The second is a Hershey chocolate bar. Just toss it in when you're 10 minutes away from removing from the heat. Don't tell anyone what you've done and see if they can figure it out.

I use one or the other...or neither depending on my mood.

My favorite venison recipe is back strap medallions butterflied and stuffed with cream cheese, vidalia onions and thin slices of fresh jalapeno. I slice the jalapeno lengthwise and remove the seeds. I butterfly the medallions, smear on a healthy blob of cream cheese and then add a couple of strips of jalapeno and a couple of strips of the raw sweet onion. I secure the stuffed medallions with a wrap of bacon and toothpicks and then drizzle with worchestershire and olive oil. On the grill at high heat until the meat is pink.

It's worth repeating that venison is lean and will dry out if over cooked. My wife is picky about anything "exotic" and she really likes the venison I prepare. It's important to remove as much fat and as much silver skin as possible if you prefer milder less "gamey" flavors. Venison is healthy and can be a real treat if handled properly.

For supper tonight, I grilled the following. It was awesome stuff!

6 Wild Boar chops (cut 1/2 inch thick)

Red Wine Vinegarette salad dressing

2 red oak Grilling Boards (available at Kroger and some Walmarts)

Soak board in water as per instructions. (1 to 24 hours)

Marinate wild boar chops (you can substitute with deer if you choose) in a bowl covered with the salad dressing for at least 4 hours or overnite if you choose. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.

You will be cooking with indirect heat. Place grilling boards at opposite end of grill from heat. If you can't use indirect heat, place boards above heat on a "low" setting. If cooking with "direct heat", keep a close watch on the boards and make sure they do not catch fire and ruin your supper.

Place chops on board and grill until done. Boar should be cooked until done (about 180 degrees internal temperature). Deer chops can be cooked until medium done or "pink" inside. The planks cook by steaming and does a really good job, and does it fairly quick.

When the food is done, remove it from the planks. If you desire, you can also steam vegetables on the planks with your chops.

Serve hot with:

canned mixed vegetables and long grain wild rice.

An ice cold beer during cooking is a nice plus!

Enjoy

Dave

Edited by wd-40
senior moment
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest adamoxtwo

Alright folks I know I'm slacking in this department but I've been working full time and going to school full time so I have to prioritize. I have pulled the recipes from the website and will start to Format and play with them as much as possible. I would really like a chance for everyone to put more in (WD and Robtatoo are the biggest contributors thus far thanks guys!). I will add some more soups and I am debating my pasta sauce and Venison meatballs recipes (secrets run deep in that recipe). But I have a soup recipe that will blow your mind.....it will be posted soon.

Alright folks I know I'm slacking in this department but I've been working full time and going to school full time so I have to prioritize. I have pulled the recipes from the website and will start to Format and play with them as much as possible. I would really like a chance for everyone to put more in (WD and Robtatoo are the biggest contributors thus far thanks guys!). I will add some more soups and I am debating my pasta sauce and Venison meatballs recipes (secrets run deep in that recipe). But I have a soup recipe that will blow your mind.....it will be posted soon.

Come on dude...cut loose...don't hold back!

I have plenty more, but will need the time to post them.

Guest adamoxtwo
I'm going to make some "Bronker's Stew" this week.......

I made it with steaks because I had all the roasts ground up. What I did was cut up the steaks in delicious chunks and salt and pepper them (remember dry the meat first) then gave them a quick sear in the bacon fat (which fricken rocked by the way) and then pulled it out put it in a bowl (which is important because juices that rock stay in the bowl and will eventually make it's way back in the stew) then I added it about 10 minutes before I served it just to heat it up. I tried to have the meat medium in the stew so it didn't get tough. Worked like a charm.

I have been cooking and eating venison for 25 years now and I tried it a new way this year and I am hooked.... If you have never tried canning venison, Try it. Cut the meat up in 1 in chunks (trim off any fat and silver skin), pack into pint mason jars, add a bullion cube and some onion. Seal and process at 10 lbs of pressure for 75 minutes... (no need to add water or broth or to pre cook). It comes out tasting like the best Roast beef you have ever had (only more tender... crazy tender to the point of falling a part) Put the jars on the shelf and eat when you are ready... having some for lunch today... :)

• 1 month later...
Guest adamoxtwo

Its been a while and I have to say that everyone that has posted a recipe has not disappointed! My brother-in-law gave this one to me and I had to share it. Enjoy!

Venison Gyro’s

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin

1 tablespoon minced garlic

2 teaspoons dried marjoram

2 teaspoons ground dried rosemary

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

3 pounds Venison Tenderloin, cut into 1/4 thick strips

1 (12 ounce) package pita breads, warmed

Directions:

1. Whisk together the olive oil, cumin, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, oregano, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add the venison strips, and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the venison strips, a half-pound at a time, until the venison has browned (I like mine Medium Rare) about 6-8 minutes. Pile the meat onto warmed pitas to serve.

Cucumber Sauce

Tzatziki Sauce:

16 ounces plain yogurt

1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped

Pinch kosher salt

4 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced

1. Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.

1. Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

*You can top you Gyro with whatever you would like, but I have found that Tomatoes and Spinach go extremely well with this recipe. If you buy Pita’s and they are not Deli fresh, I highly recommend toasting the Pita before you serve it. It holds it together nicely. The microwave tends to cause broken and flimsy pitas.

Anyone make venison snack sticks?

Barbequed Teriyaki

Marinade

1 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup vegetable or olive oil

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Place all ingredients in jar and shake well.

Slice round steak or other lean cut of meat into strips. Place in

container and cover with marinade. Leave several hours or overnight. Place on skewers (can be bought at Wal-Mart). Cook

for about 5-10 minutes.

We dehydrate the strips for jerky.

Edited by Tim Nunan

DEER SADDLE

Wash whole saddle (bone in) under cold water, dry with a paper towel; take one or two skins off. Using a large roasting pan, sprinkle saddle with salt & pepper. Put in 2 quartered onions, 2 cut up tomatoes, 2 bay leaves, and some juniper berries all around the saddle. Melt some unsalted butter and when bubbling hot (not brown) pour over saddle. Place saddle in preheated oven (350 F), and baste every ten minutes with juice from pan (eventually add some red wine). After 50 to 60 minutes take saddle out of pan and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Add more wine to all remaining ingredients in pan and let it come to a boil. Scraping pan bottom, strain gravy into smaller pot and let it boil down for a few minutes, then put in heavy cream. Season to taste (perhaps some cranberry jelly, a cube of beef broth, ketchup, or mustard and sour cream. Don't let it boil after mustard and sour cream are added). Carve saddle; pour juices from meat into gravy. Serve saddle and gravy separately.