Looking For Advice

jay

I'm looking for advice about trading in my Taurus Mil. Pro 9mm (3rd generation). I bought the pistol about a year and a half ago mainly because it was small and relatively inexpensive. Although I haven't gotten around to getting my carry permit yet, I will, and that's what the pistol was purchased for.

I've been thinking about trading it for a Springfield XD9 sub-compact. I've heard good things about both guns, but more about the Springfield. I've put about 500 rounds through my Taurus and it seems to shoot a little low and a little left of the center of the target (of course, this could just be my lack of experience :lol:). I understand that all short-barreled pistols will be inaccurate, but I wonder if the Springfield would be any better. In your opinion, do you think it's worth the extra money for the Springfield?

All of your opinions are welcomed.

Jay

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

Subcompacts are not "inaccurate", they are just less accurate than a longer barreled guns. With proper practice, you will be able to shoot just as well for self defense and casual range shooting. I say this because a lot of people assume that subcompacts and snub nose revolvers are awful in regards to accuracy, that is just not true.

Disclaimer: This of course is not true with every make and model of handgun, some just don't shoot straight!

If you are getting into Target/competition like IDPA well that is another story.

Oh, you will not go wrong with the XD.

Edited by db99wj
Guest EasilyObsessed

XD > Taurus

If you are shooting low and to the left...there is a good chance it is from anticipating recoil and not the gun itself. Have some other people shoot it and see where their groups end up. You could try having someone else load your magazine with a random snap cap to see if you end up jerking the gun down when pulling the trigger.

Guest db99wj
XD > Taurus

If you are shooting low and to the left...there is a good chance it is from anticipating recoil and not the gun itself. Have some other people shoot it and see where their groups end up. You could try having someone else load your magazine with a random snap cap to see if you end up jerking the gun down when pulling the trigger.

Yep, with those two things, you will find out exactly what you are doing wrong.

I've owned 3", 4" and 5" XDs... all are (for intents and purposes) equally accurate, mechanically. The 5" gun is simply easier to shoot accurately.

I vastly prefer XDs to anything made by Taurus... but my advice to you is to get some one on one coaching with an experienced shooter, and put some more trigger time on the gun you have. Thats what I wish I had done when I was learning to shoot well, instead of bouncing from pistol to pistol hoping to find one that made me look better... Get used to what you've got, and you'll really appreciate a better pistol later on, and have more experience with which to make the decision of what to get.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I love the XD and would recommend it to anyone, but I do think you should investigate the possibility that you're anticipating recoil or flinching a bit. Pulling shots low and left (for a righty) is a classic sign of this.

Someone has already mentioned the test for this- put a random snap cap into a magazine. You can do this without having another person around, too. What you have to do is load several magazines, put the snap cap into one, and then mix them up so you don't know when it's coming. Loading the mags at home before taking them to the range could work for this as well.

Anticipation has been the bane of many shooters, including me. I've managed to tame it for the most part, but it does still rear its ugly head on me from time to time.

Guest db99wj
I've owned 3", 4" and 5" XDs... all are (for intents and purposes) equally accurate, mechanically. The 5" gun is simply easier to shoot accurately.

Excellent point.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely need more practice (lots more), but I've been told by other people who have shot my Taurus or their own Taurus that the gun has the tendencies mentioned earlier.

It sounds like most of you think the Springfield xd is a much better gun. I'm going to handle one this week and put some rounds through it to see how it feels in my hand. If it feels good, then I'm sure I'll trade my Taurus for it.

Thanks for all of your input.

Jay