Range Report: XDm 5.25" 9mm with PRP Trigger Kit

LagerHead

So, a couple of weeks ago I bought a new XDm 9mm 5.25" Competition Series pistol like the one pictured below from Guns and Leather. I also ordered the PRP Ultimate Match Target XDm Trigger Kit since the only complaint I have about the XD/XDm line is the trigger.

I received the trigger kit in the mail last Monday and installed it during lunch. This was the first trigger kit I have ever installed but the video linked to on PRP's site explained in full detail what had to be done. The trigger kit consists of a new sear, striker safety lever, trigger with over travel stop, sear spring, and trigger spring. Fitting required me to sand a bit on the sear and the striker safety lever (where the trigger bar comes back in order to reset) and quite a bit off the over travel stop. After about 1.5 hours everything was installed, fitted, and function checked. Someone with more experience may have been able to do it quicker but I was pretty pleased for my first time.

On Tuesday I went back to Guns and Leather and put it through its paces. Out of about 120 rounds it failed to reset without a little help 3 times. So I took it home and sanded just a hair more on the striker safety lever and function checked again. On Friday it was out to Charlie's place for another round of test firing, which went off without a hitch. Then on Saturday I shot it at the MCTS 3 gun match.

Let me say, I couldn't be happier. The PRP trigger kit reduced pull to probably about 3 pounds. I don't have anything to measure it with so I'm totally going to off of feel and comparing to the approximately 4.5 pounds that is stock. But it is light. And the reset is short. And there is no take up. As soon as the trigger safety is pressed, you pull and it goes bang. And though the gun comes with adjustable rear sights, I didn't have to make any adjustments. With the new trigger I was putting whole magazines through the a hole about an inch in diameter at 7 yards. Not bad for someone who only ranks about average.

So if you get a chance to shoot this gun, do it. If you have this gun or an XD and are looking for an improved trigger, look at PRP. After shooting mine the wife says she wants a trigger kit (though not the competition kit) for her XD9SC. I will be reducing her take up and over travel soon while leaving the stock springs intact.

That is all.

attachment.php?attachmentid=621&d=1317656389

post-4412-132850577536_thumb.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just curious as to why you choose the competition model XD vs a m&p9L/competition, or glock 34?

Glad things turned out well for you though, I love how my dad's xdm9 shoots.

That is a beautiful pistol . I have a G34 , I guess you would say Glock's version of yours , it is pictured in my avatar . I have had some XD's over the years but I could never grip them the correct way to engage the grip safety and it would not fire for me at all . I went through 4 different XD's trying this. If there is ever a way to disable the grip safety then I may get the pistol you have . I like the longer barreled pistols .

Glad you like it and keep us informed on the progress .

I have shot two Glock 34's. One of them was pretty awesome, the other I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with. I think the difference was in the height of the fiber optic sights in the two. The reason I didn't go with the 34 though is just that I'm an XD guy. This is my fourth XD/XDm. Also, this one came stock with the fiber optic sight and adjustable rear sight, two things that aren't stock on the 34. And if I were ever to purchase a Glock, I would never live it down from a forum member here. And the last thing he needs is an ego boost. :up:

Edited by LagerHead
Guest gw2and4
I have shot two Glock 34's. One of them was pretty awesome, the other I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with. I think the difference was in the height of the fiber optic sights in the two. The reason I didn't go with the 34 though is just that I'm an XD guy. This is my fourth XD/XDm. Also, this one came stock with the fiber optic sight and adjustable rear sight, two things that aren't stock on the 34. And if I were ever to purchase a Glock, I would never live it down from a forum member here. And the last thing he needs is an ego boost. B)

I don't think I'm in any more danger of you buying a Glock than you are of me buying an XDm. Just sayin'... :up:

Sent from my iPhone 4

Guest The Highlander

My 34 came with adjustable sights. The fiber optics are about $30 and install in maybe two minutes. I'm a Glock guy through and through! The XDm 5.25 is a nice looking gun though. I have far too many toys for Glocks to switch brands at this point.

My 34 came with adjustable sights. The fiber optics are about $30 and install in maybe two minutes. I'm a Glock guy through and through! The XDm 5.25 is a nice looking gun though. I have far too many toys for Glocks to switch brands at this point.

Yea, the only real, appreciable difference between the two comes down to preference. The XDm is obviously much better looking :koolaid: but they shoot very similarly as far as I can tell.