Where to find a TT-33 Tokarev in Middle TN???

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested as well.

TT-33 was in production from 1934 till 1952. In 1952 the equipment was transferred to China. Chinese Tokarev made before 1960 is exact copy of TT-33. Soviet Union also granted licences for production to Hungary, Poland, Romania and Korea. Hungarian and Polish TT are of good quality. Later in 1957 Yugoslavia designed their M-57 based on Tokarev schematic. However it is different gun with no parts compatibility.

Original Tokarev has no external safety, no magazine safety and no guide rod. Soviet, Chinese, Hungarian and Polish TT are capable to shoot Czech 7.62x25 ammo intended for sub-machine-gun

Guest coldblackwind
I would be interested as well.

TT-33 was in production from 1934 till 1952. In 1952 the equipment was transferred to China. Chinese Tokarev made before 1960 is exact copy of TT-33. Soviet Union also granted licences for production to Hungary, Poland, Romania and Korea. Hungarian and Polish TT are of good quality. Later in 1957 Yugoslavia designed their M-57 based on Tokarev schematic. However it is different gun with no parts compatibility.

Original Tokarev has no external safety, no magazine safety and no guide rod. Soviet, Chinese, Hungarian and Polish TT are capable to shoot Czech 7.62x25 ammo intended for sub-machine-gun

Actually, most of the chinese ones I run across are 9mm. I run across these on rare occasions, but if I see one I'll try to remember to post it.

Guest hillbilly007

Classic Arms in out of Charlotte usually has several version of the Tokarev available. The last variant I saw from them was chromed, a little too much for me, but to each his own.

Buying Zastave M-57 keep in mind:

These are beautiful guns but not practical at all. Zastava build them from carbon steel, not chrom steel as Russian TT-33. I did "tomato" test on M-57 a month ago. The frame, slide and the barrel failed the test. It means that the bore will be dark after about 200 rounds and pitted after about 2000 rounds. The locking circular grooves on the barrel will wear much faster than these on original TT-33.

However with surplus 7.62x25 not available anymore, all Tokarevs become just a beautiful pieces of history. Metallurgy troubles of former Yugoslavia should not bother you

Guest coldblackwind

Surplus ammo is easy to find, and cheaper than dirt. As for the safety issue, all you gotta do is like I did, find a vietnam bring back, tt-33, no safety! Of course some genius cold blued it...but that's not the point!

Guest CajunKen
Surplus ammo is easy to find, and cheaper than dirt. As for the safety issue, all you gotta do is like I did, find a vietnam bring back, tt-33, no safety! Of course some genius cold blued it...but that's not the point!

I've got a Chicom Type 54, which is a Chinese licensed copy of the TT-33. I brought it back from Vietnam in 1970, and while I've only fired around 400 rounds thru it ( I don't know how many rounds the VC courier had fired ), but it is solid, very accurate and hasn't given me any problems. I've fired Winchester FMJ, Czech surplus and Wolf HP. As CBW said, it's easy to get, especially in bulk lots.

Edited by CajunKen
Omission