Camping in Mid Tn

Hello,

I am thinking of going camping Saturday night. I've been numerous times before, but always with at least one other person. The property I'd go on (with full permission) is acres of woods, but there area a couple of houses within maybe half a mile.

I'm going to try building just a make-shift shelter with yard bags or something similar, maybe a light tarp. I know there are supposedly a lot of boars in the area (even big boar hunts nearby each spring). Do I need to worry about anything being out there alone / is this a dumb idea? I'd have my 9mm but it seems like a shotgun is a little overkill, but idk. I guess what I'm really wondering is if a boar or coyote or the like decides to attack, are you really going to know it until he's already standing on top of you? I'd guess not. But then again I'd guess the likelihood of that happening is also low. I've never camped outside a tent though I have been to state parks etc., so I'm still a newbie I guess.

I will be doing the other stuff old-school.... harvesting firewood and splitting tinder, etc., etc.. Except I guess I'll need to carry in a little food for dinner/breakfast over the fire. It's supposed to get down to 23*F, so I guess this night out would get me motivated to get some good clothing that is actually made for cold-weather. I've got desert boots (with wool socks) and a carhart jacket, other than just layering light jackets.

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to take a sleeping bag. Probably not the best in the world as it's real heavey, but probably keep me somewhat warm. Do I need to somehow wake up in the night and throw more wood on the fire? Usually I don't worry about it much as there's a least one other person, but when we wake up all that's left is ashed-over coals that we get going again with some small sticks. Or do I need to put large logs on before going to sleep instead of pieces split ~2x3?

These questions are part of why I want to get out and do it.... to learn. Aside from the fun factor if I don't freeze to death or anything :-)

I'd get a fire going early and save a few good large "night logs" as I call them. Start by putting those large logs around the perimeter of the fire on two sides which will reflect some of the heat towards you. Don't burn them but put them close enough to dry out in case they are wet from the rain this week. Throw them on an hour or two before you hit the sack and get them going . The cold should wake you up at some point in the night, so I wouldn't worry about that...lol If someone else is going with you I'd bring an additional blanket to put over both of you. This will at least help you both share some body heat.

I'd make sure you have a good amount of kindling or split wood left when you go to sleep so that if you stoke the fire in the middle of the night it will get going again quick. Build something big enough to keep you warm, but don't catch yourself on fire :dunno:

I usually take my pup with me in the winter...dogs make great tent heaters...lol

Also sleeping bags work on the principle of trapping your body heat. If you wear too much clothing in your bag you can actually end up colder because the clothing will trap your body heat too much and not allow the bag to do what it's supposed to. Another thing to look at is the temperature rating of your bag. I usually go with something that's rated 15 degrees or more less than the temperature you'll be sleeping in. A 15 degree bag would be what I would want in this type of weather.

Edited by Kenstaroni
Also sleeping bags work on the principle of trapping your body heat. If you wear too much clothing in your bag you can actually end up colder because the clothing will trap your body heat too much and not allow the bag to do what it's supposed to. Another thing to look at is the temperature rating of your bag. I usually go with something that's rated 15 degrees or more less than the temperature you'll be sleeping in. A 15 degree bag would be what I would want in this type of weather.

Thanks! I'll have to dig the bag out tonight or tomorrow and check the rating on it. I believe its a Coleman from Walmart (not that that has anything to do with the rating) years back when I was a cub scout. The only other time I've been out all night in sub-freezing temps I had a borrowed bag that was real good. If it's a 30-degree bag is still going out a dumb idea, or does it just mean i'll be less comfortable? I've seen a few 5-10* rated bags on sale lately, should have picked one up already... :-(

You'll be fine, a bag with a better rating will have more insulation but you're gonna be cold either way...lol Have fun, gear is great but using what you have smartly, even if it's from walmart, is usually more important. You can also put a blanket under you so that you loose less heat through your back. Usually the expensive bags are just lighter and less bulky than something from Walmart, that's mostly what you are paying for.

Your bag is the second best piece of equipment on cool nights like these, a good fire is your first. I went a few weeks back (took my pup too, although she relied on me for more warmth than the other way around... Ha ha!). A few things I learned:

1. Get more firewood than you think you're gonna need.

2. Get a GOOD bag, mine is rated down to 15* and it was great!

3. Take something to do with you for occupying yourself around the fire (ie a deck of cards, etc.). I've got a small, hand crank emergency radio that I took with.

You'll wake up every few hours (at least I did), you can stoke the fire and add some more wood at that point.

Oh, and if you've got a flask, full 'er up!

Hope you have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best advice is sleep on all the extra padding you can the ground will absorb alot of heat. If bag has drawstring at top. Crawl in put on hat and pull string tight. I am bald hence the hat. I used to spend several w/e's A year in sw Texas at a hunting camp with no utilities. Survived many nights in the winter with a fire outside and no heat in cabin but a Coleman lantern. You will be ok. Have fun.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

In extremely cold temps you'll lose just as much heat through the top of your bag as you will by sleeping on warmth robbing cold ground. (Believe me, I've camped at temps down to 16 below with nothing more than a couple of wool blankets and I know whereof I speak.) As long as it's not raining, don't sweat building the shelter. If you do decide on a shelter, keep it small. It'll be easier to warm up and keep warm.

Otherwise, build a simple fire reflector (I'll tell you how in a moment) and use the tarp as both a ground sheet and as a cover sheet over the top of your bag. In fact, go one better and build two long fires about a foot wide by 6 feet long and about 6 feet apart with reflectors behind each one, then roll out your bag and tarp between them. The fire(s) don't have to be big, just get a good layer of coals built up before you rack out for the night. I won't guarantee you'll sleep toasty, but you should.

Simple fire reflector howto: Basically, you're just wanting to create a "slot" into which you can pile sticks, logs or slabs of bark. To do this Find or cut 6 poles about an inch in diameter and about 4 feet long. Shove or drive two of the poles at least six inches into the ground about 3 - 4 inches apart then repeat with two more about 6 feet from the first two. Do the same with the remaining two, placing them roughly centered between the other poles. Keep them lined up so that, when looking at your creation from one end it looks like this: l l

After that, simply stack long sticks, logs or slabs of bark in the "rack" you've made to a height of 2 or 3 feet and, voila'! You have a field expedient fire reflector. Be sure to build your fire far enough away so that it won't burn up your reflector.

If you go with the "two fire camp" (highly recommended in colder temps with substandard sleeping gear) simply build two reflectors as mentioned above.

Building a reflector or two takes a bit of extra prep work and maybe a little practice to get right, but it's well worth the time when it comes to sleeping cozy.

...TS...

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I already failed. Was up real early this morning so I laid down around 1:00 to take a nap, and should have set an alarm. I guess at this point I won't be going out tonight, so I'll have to go sometime the next few weeks. I guess tonight's not a total waste, I can take some time to get my gear more oganized in my bag, assess what is missing, etc...