JC Higgins Shotgun

jay1313g

Today, my wife's Grandfather gave me an old 12 gauge shotgun he had in the back of his closet. He loaned a guy $50 a long time ago and the guy gave him the gun as collateral. The guy disappeared 20 years ago and never came back for the gun.

The shotgun is a JC Higgins 583.16 and appears to have been a gun that was recalled because of a screw that could come loose and let the bolt come out. It has a cool vintage look that may end up just being a wall hanger.

The only problem with it is the stock is cracked. Anybody know much about these other than what I have been able to Google?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chrisdridley

I have two old JC Higgins shotguns and I love shooting them. I am afraid I don't know the real value of these, don't think it is much, but I would spend the money for the stock if it was my gun. A lot of guys that go to turkey shoots like these guns because they are pretty accurate to begin with and with a little work, they can become a vicious shooter of 2-2-10 loads.

Thanks, Chris!

I didn't think it would be worth very much but, I like the idea of letting my sons shoot a 60 year old shotgun and appreciating where gun technology has made it to. I guess I like "old school". I wear self winding watches and carry a Zippo lighter.

I did call Numrich and the lady said they get these stocks in from time to time so I'll just have to keep checking their site.

Guest Coltman151

I've got a JC higgins model 20 myself, and I love it. my great grandfather was the first to buy it, and it came down the line. i've never had a problem out of it through 100s of shells. The barrel is a little lengthy for birds, but i make do.

I found a replacement stock on Ebay. It was actually for a 583.13 rather than a 583.16 but, it fit and I am happy with it. I do need to "adjust" it a little bit by the safety. The safety is pinned tight and won't slide. I plan to break it down this weekend for a thorough cleaning and take care of this minor issue.

I found a replacement stock on Ebay. It was actually for a 583.13 rather than a 583.16 but, it fit and I am happy with it. I do need to "adjust" it a little bit by the safety. The safety is pinned tight and won't slide. I plan to break it down this weekend for a thorough cleaning and take care of this minor issue.

I have my grandfather's JC Higgins Model 20 pump gun from the 50s. I may have a copy of the original "Owner's Manual" on my computer. If you'll shoot me a PM with your email address, I'll look it up, and send you a copy. May take me a couple of days though.