Favorite .308 recipe?

Hey folks. As the title inquires, anyone have a favorite recipe for .308?

I'm going to be researching all the finite details over the next month. Down to concentric measuring, manual charging, etc.

What's your favorite?

Powders, OAL, primers, etc.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite hunting load is a Hornady 150 gr. spire point behind 48.0 gr. W748 and either a Win. LR primer or CCI 200. I've played around with several other loads. A good target load for me is a 168 gr. Sierra HPBT and 43.0 gr. 748 and Fed. 210 M. I've meant to try some varmit loads with lighter bullets but, I've never got around to it. I can't remember OAL right off the top of my head.

Guest phil357

My 308 Palma load is 46.5 Varget with 155 Match Kings. Are you looking for a hunting load or target load? I would NOT use 168 MK past 600 yards, go with 155 or 175 MK. Every rifle is different just work your loads up by reducing them by 10% and watch for signs of pressure, heavy bolt lift etc...

I'm looking for the most accurate hunting load. Currently, I have Nosler Accu-Bond and Hornady SST in 150gr.

Beside testing various charges, has anyone played much with the OAL? I read at interesting article on "Jamming and Jumping" the bullet seating in the chamber. i.e. from the bullet point of contact, at the lands, slightly seat the bullet (0.010") further into the chamber, aka "jamming." Back away from the lands in three similar increments, aka "jumping." Test groups. One note, with the shortening (jumping) of the cartridge, the increased pressure will have to be monitored and appropriate powder charging adjusted.

Edited by cyh1830
Guest TnTnTn

I have several different hunting loads depending on a couple of factors. I like Reloder 7 and IMR 3031 and use some IMR 4064 also. My youth load uses Rel 7 and a 125g Nosler Bal tip out of a model 7 and my boy used it effectively for several years. In fact he has his own .308 Hawkeye now and I haven't even changed the load as he uses the rifle/load very effectively. My full power loads use a 150g bullet and IMR 3031 with a recipe I got from Mike Venturino many years ago. The .308 is a great cartridge and most any load is accurate. I am pretty old hat and haven't tried any of the newer powders as the older ones worked so well for me. TTT

45.0g AA2520, 168g Amax .010 off the lands Hornady match brass fire formed and necksized. Savage model 10pc

5 shot group @ a hundred yards can be coverd with a half dollar. Better than that if it were in the hands of a more competent shooter.

• 2 weeks later...