1911 thumb safety.

I just purchased a Springfield Armory 1911 Ultra Compact. It does NOT have an ambidextrious safety. The factory thumb safety is a small bobbed safety. My questions are... is this safety a regular size safety with the extension simply ground down? And will a ambidextrious safety for a full size 1911 fit this weapon?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest atomemphis

Yup, that's the normal safety.

My Kimber has the extended ambi-safety. I have no use for the ambi-side though. Something to think about when you are looking to get an extended - Would you use the safety on the right side?

Honestly.... yes... I would use the ambidextrious safety as I commonly practice shooting with the weak hand (a real task if any of you out there have not tried it). But that is just me. It is not so much that I want an ambidextrious safety as it is I want a standard one with longer tangs.

Guest atomemphis

The longer tangs are helpful, and weak hand shooting is a real challenge, but the ambi-side's safety does increase the gun width a bit if concealment is what you are after.

There are a variety of shapes and differently ridged safeties to choose from.

The above posted offer sounds good, and you can play around MidwayUSA's site to see the options.

Guest atomemphis

That would be nice.

As for magazines - I have a Wilson (polymer follower), a Kimber (split level follower) and a McCormick (split level follower).

They are nice, the Wilson the nicest of those. I have since tried out Tripp Research Cobra Mag's. If you need 1911 magazines, try one of these, you will not be disappointed. By far the best I've played with.

I do plan to try out a Wolff 1911 Magazine soon, as I was told they make them as well...

Guest Law of Thirds

Out of curiosity, is it possible to get an extended ambi safety that's been bobbed on the left side? I'm a lefty and my grip is high enough that I have a hard time not flipping the safety up with my index finger.

Guest Law of Thirds

Thanks. That thread seems to indicate that there are left hand only single safeties. I understand that ambidextrous safeties are considered a weak design compared to the rest of the 1911, and a left only safety would make sense for concealed carry for a lefty as well but I can't seem to find one on brownells or wilson combat's websites. Did I misread the conversation or is there some secret repository of left handed parts somewhere?