New Primitive Survival Skills Meet-Up

Lol, you live an interesting life I must say.

Well, don't know how "interesting" it's been, but I've certainly enjoyed it. Always kinda' thought that was the point... ;)

Many years ago - when I was about your age - a guy about the age I am now told me, "When you reach my age you're only going to have two regrets: The roads you could have gone down and didn't and the women you could have slept with and didn't." ...I laughed then... turns out I shouldn't have, because it also turns out that he was right. :mellow:

Well, don't know how "interesting" it's been, but I've certainly enjoyed it. Always kinda' thought that was the point... ;)

Many years ago - when I was about your age - a guy about the age I am now told me, "When you reach my age you're only going to have two regrets: The roads you could have gone down and didn't and the women you could have slept with and didn't." ...I laughed then... turns out I shouldn't have, because it also turns out that he was right. :mellow:

Hindsight is 20/20?

Hindsight is 20/20?

Not necessarily. More like life is what happens when you were making other plans.

I'll admit that of the two, I regret the roads not taken the most (even though I've taken vastly more roads than the average person). Because even a wandering man can be satisfied with only one woman - especially if it's the right woman. But even a stationary man will sit and wonder where the road goes...

I'll further admit that I thought at first that this was yet another thread hijack. But then I thought, what "survival skill" can be more primitive than the ability to satisfy the desire for companionship or to quench the thirst to discover what's over the next hill?

:)

Not necessarily. More like life is what happens when you were making other plans.

I'll admit that of the two, I regret the roads not taken the most (even though I've taken vastly more roads than the average person). Because even a wandering man can be satisfied with only one woman - especially if it's the right woman. But even a stationary man will sit and wonder where the road goes...

I'll further admit that I thought at first that this was yet another thread hijack. But then I thought, what "survival skill" can be more primitive than the ability to satisfy the desire for companionship or to quench the thirst to discover what's over the next hill?

Well said sir.

How right you are!

Dave

If I get to attend this (I'm planning on it anyways), I would like to offer some "Hide Tanning" instructions to those present. My little Grandson will most likely be with me and he Loves fishing. So maybe we can squeeze in some fishing time for him too.

Spot; I just got off the phone with "Time" and I think we have a pretty good program put together. We need to get as many TGO members involved as possible. I'll be coming from Clarksville, so local fellows should have no problem!

Give me a call at (931)802-2138 Tuesday or so would be fine!

Well ita getting close so we have to set a date. I'm gonna go forward with the 30th. So we will be meeting anytime after 5:00 pm Fri. June 29th for those that would like to camp. If your coming to the event saturday lets say show up at 8:00 am sat. morning June 30th. Please bring fishing gear if youd like to fish the creek we are staying next too. Also bring camping gear (bedroll, sleeping bag, tent if thats your thing :), food for the camp fire, and a good attitude. We will be having knife and hawk throwing, hide tanning, and other stuff. I hope to see everyone who can make it there. The address is 225 George jones rd oliver springs tn 37840. If you get lost or need directions pm me on here or call 850-776-8205. Send me a text first if possible, i dont usually answer numbers I dont know if Im at all busy. Thanks

Gettin' closer! Thought I'd bump this a little in hopes of getting a few more folks interested in coming out. I know that our own WD-40 will be there with plenty to teach and share and I'll be doing some "instructorizing" myself, primarily on what we're now calling "primitive survival skills" but was actually just day-to-day frontier living a couple hundred years ago.

Aside from the basic and mundane stuff like flint & steel fire starting and the convenience of a tumpline supported bedroll for a person on foot, we'll take a look around and discuss a little on wild plant foods, campsite selection, basic shelter and maybe even build a simple but very effective drying/smoking rack for making jerky or roasting tuberous plants. Might be some other stuff we'll get into also, but mostly - in true "frontiersman" fashion - we'll just see what presents itself for learning. (And again, we'll also find the time to do some knife & tomahawk tossing for fun and profit and I'll be happy to not only give some instruction, but provide a knife or two for chunkin' - as long as you promise not to throw it in the creek!) :)

So come on out - it'll be some shinin' times!

P.S. I personally want to thank Spots in advance for noticing my old thread and getting the ball rolling on this, as well as volunteering to host this little get-together in what sounds like an increasingly ideal area. Thank you! :up:

...TS...

Getting excited for this to go down. I can't wait to sit around the camp fire with you guys and swap lies, and I might even be able to dig up a jug from somewhere. If your reading this, and haven't made up your mind about coming, then let me personally send out an invitation to you. We promise its gonna be a good time, and you might even learn a thing or two.