mauser sniper bolt disassembly

I know how to disassemble the Mauser bolt. What I'm having trouble with is disassembling the bolt on a Mauser sniper rifle. The safety does not turn 90 degrees or 180 compared to any other bolt. There is a scope above this bolt safety and it's been designed so that at 45 degrees or so, the safety is engaged. My problem is that when I try to remove the bolt from the action with the safety on, the safety cannot stay in that position. Does this makes sense? I hope I explained it well enough.

Edit: I'm not sure this is a "mauser sniper" bolt. I didn't know what else to call it. After further looking on the internet I think what I have is some kind of custom aftermarket bolt (or something). The original owner is dead and cannot help me with my questions.

Edited by jwolf4

Is this a true Wehrmacht sniper or a reproduction? I'm not aware of any safety function mod that was done different on the German sniper rifles over a standard 98k, but then again in the world of Mausers - - - you never know for sure.

Does it have the high turret mounts like this?

152kizk.jpg

Or the side mount like this which also has the "winter" safety?

2wejvpj.jpg

The rifle has a side mounted scope and it does not have the winter safety. I don't know if you can tell, but the bolt is three different colors which tells me it has had work done on it. There is also a tiny screw 180 degrees from where the safety knob is pointing in the second picture. I got this beauty at an estate sale so no one knows anything about it.

img6968w.jpg

img6967s.jpg

Edited by jwolf4

Yup, that looks like a two position hunting rifle safety. The tiny screw keeps the safety on.

Appears that the bolt is still cocked, so you should be able to takedown the bolt like any other Mauser.

Been a few days since I had one apart, but I remember putting the cocking piece against my workbench and pulling it back far enough to expose a slot in which I stick a penny. This keeps it in the cocked position, and makes for easier reassembly as I recall. You just unscrew it.

• Like 1

It looks to cocked, which is the state it should be in having been removed from the rifle.

Now turn the safety lever straight up. This is called the bolt disassembly position. Looking at the rear left side of the bolt, you will see the bolt sleeve lock plunger sticking out of the bolt sleeve. You need to push this in (aft) and unscrew the bolt sleeve in a counterclockwise direction. You will then have the bolt body in one hand, and the bolt sleeve/firing pin assembly in the other.

Most Mauser models have a bolt disassembly washer in the buttstock or a hole in the buttplate, if your rifle does not you can use a plain hardwood block to continue the disassembly. Rest the firing pin tip (called the striker) on the wooden block, straight up and down. Hold the bolt sleeve in your right hand, with your thumb on top of the safety lever. CAUTION: We are dealing with spring pressure here, keep your face out of the way! Push the bolt sleeve down firmly, compressing the firing pin spring until all the coils touch each other. Now the cocking piece will be exposed at the top of the firing pin, turn it ¼ turn in either direction, and slide it off the firing pin. Your right hand and thumb will still be holding the bolt sleeve down, be careful and release the spring pressure slowly, and then you will be able to remove the bolt sleeve assembly from the firing pin.

Again - - - BE CAREFUL! The spring will be under pressure as you take the bolt apart.

Here is a link to a quick You Tube video.

Edited by DMark
  • Like 1

This is not a normal Mauser bolt assembly. The safety does not turn straight up. It turns only to 45 degrees up from the FIRE position. There are only two positions for this safety. It was not fully cocked in the pictures.

What gregintenn stated seems to be the only way I've found to disassemble this bolt. I've asked on another forum and was told the same thing, but different method.

Thanks guys. Rep points for you both.

Edited by jwolf4

Hey jwolf4,

Without holding the bolt in my hand, I'm out of ideas on the disassembly of this bolt. :shrug:

Might be time to this see if any of the good folks over in the gunsmithing section of the forum can help.

I think all of our collective C&R knowledge here will only point back on how to take apart an as issued bolt.

Edited by DMark

I tried to install one of those on my Mauser sporter and could not figure it out. They definately install and remove different than the stock safety. In the end I put a non safety bolt shroud on and used a Timney with the integral safety.

If you go this way disassembly of the bolt will be the same as a stock set up. Some other cosiderations for istallation of the trigger safety will be you will have to clear some area on the stock where the new safety sticks up. Kinda like a 700 Remington. Also on mine i had to grind some on the new shroud for clearance, just a little dremel work no big deal. My new shroud was in the white but that was ok with me as I did entire project in Stainless Duracoat. Not sure if they offer the new shroud in blue or not. Pm me if you want some more info or help to get through it.