Ebay and Paypal

I bought a bulk lot of some stuff so I could get 5 things out of it. It was well worth it but now I am stuck with all these extra pieces. I was thinking about putting them up on ebay because local things like CL and other resale sights are not working. I have watched these items get bids and sell for a decent price for that item. I had a few questions about using Ebay. I know they are in it to make money so there are fees but when I added up the fees from Ebay, Fees from Paypal and shipping it does not seem like there is much profit. As an example one of the items I have sells (yes have actually followed and seen it sell) usualy for $15. As I see it I pay 11%($1.6) sales tax 9% (1.35) insertion fee .50 Paypal fee $1 and then shipping of no less than $3. I am now at $7.50 for a $15 item. I have seen that the ones that charge shipping dont sell so I would have to just wrap that in the price. Am I off on this or is this pretty accurate. I have tried selling this stuff for WELL below the ebay price hoping someone else wants to resell these but it looks like if I want these gone I will have to do it myself, so just trying to see if it is worth it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe if you use the auction style format for insertion and start your auction <$1 then the insertion fee is $0.10, plus any extras you might want to add. Then the final value fee is highest bid + shipping x 9%. So your item, if it sells for $15, then +$3 shipping = $18. Insertion fee $0.10 + final value price fee $1.62 = $1.72 total Ebay fee. The paypal fee I believe is 2.9% of the transaction, and in this case $0.52. Total of fees $2.14 on a $18 item, or ~12%. Bump up your shipping to off set your fees, and then you are good to go.

I believe if you use the auction style format for insertion and start your auction <$1 then the insertion fee is $0.10, plus any extras you might want to add. Then the final value fee is highest bid + shipping x 9%. So your item, if it sells for $15, then +$3 shipping = $18. Insertion fee $0.10 + final value price fee $1.62 = $1.72 total Ebay fee. The paypal fee I believe is 2.9% of the transaction, and in this case $0.52. Total of fees $2.14 on a $18 item, or ~12%. Bump up your shipping to off set your fees, and then you are good to go.

I read that there is a 11% fee for using ebay. The other problem I saw was that the people that don't include shipping are sitting on these items so I couldn't raise the shipping cost and if I raise the price of the item I run into being more expensive than the others. Plus if I use the auction style and not a buy it now I run into it selling for less then shipping and the reserve fee is really high. I might just be way off but I am not seeing how on anything less than $20 can make any money. I might try one and see how it comes out.
Guest Broomhead

Remember that shipping also includes handling, i.e. the materials you need to package said items, gas to/from the PO, etc. As mentioned above, use that to offset any fees

I read that there is a 11% fee for using ebay. The other problem I saw was that the people that don't include shipping are sitting on these items so I couldn't raise the shipping cost and if I raise the price of the item I run into being more expensive than the others. Plus if I use the auction style and not a buy it now I run into it selling for less then shipping and the reserve fee is really high. I might just be way off but I am not seeing how on anything less than $20 can make any money. I might try one and see how it comes out.

I don't know about on your account but on mine, I can list 100 items for free each month with no insertion fee. However, you have to pay a fee based on the money you take in. You can use the shipping to try and offset your fees but if I'm not mistaken, eBay got tired of people doing that because it really screws the buyer so now your final value fee is based on the total of ending value + shipping so you can't really escape it.

The final value fee is 9% but then since eBay makes you use Paypal, you have to pay a fee now on Paypal. I think it's 2.9% and that's if they don't use a debit/credit card. Honestly, I only sell things on eBay that will at least go for $50 or more. Otherwise it's CL all the way.

Also, you don't pay sales tax unless you set it up as such when you list the item.

If you don't mind me asking, what all are you putting up for sale?

Edited by wcsc12

I don't know about on your account but on mine, I can list 100 items for free each month with no insertion fee. However, you have to pay a fee based on the money you take in. You can use the shipping to try and offset your fees but if I'm not mistaken, eBay got tired of people doing that because it really screws the buyer so now your final value fee is based on the total of ending value + shipping so you can't really escape it.

The final value fee is 9% but then since eBay makes you use Paypal, you have to pay a fee now on Paypal. I think it's 2.9% and that's if they don't use a debit/credit card. Honestly, I only sell things on eBay that will at least go for $50 or more. Otherwise it's CL all the way.

Also, you don't pay sales tax unless you set it up as such when you list the item.

If you don't mind me asking, what all are you putting up for sale?

I am getting 50 listings per month for free. I can't really up my shipping and handling because the ones that actually sell give free shipping. I just listed one, put it a little higher than what I wanted but it looks like I will make $17 on a $22 item. I thought you had to put in sales tax but it does not have sales tax added to the item. We will see when it sells. I have the items on CL at 75% off retail for 6 weeks and not a single reply so I figure this is not the market for them. Edited by Lions Fan

Wow, item already sold. Listed it for $22 buy it now with free shipping. My fees came out to $2.92 paid to ebay. $1.03 to paypal and $2.75 to ship for a total of $6.70. $22-6.70= $15.30. I guess that was not bad but still that was almost 30% to sell an item. I did list another one of the same items as an auction with $2.75 for shipping. I could save $1 if that one sells for $22, so I think I will stick with Buy It Now.