Saiga .223 conversion

Guest The Dude

Guest The Dude

i picked up a .223 (5.56) Saiga last month from my loca shop. after deciding on what direction i was going to go with it, i started gutting the new rifle, after i test fired it first or function. (i highly suggest doing this)

so the second day i started tearing it apart. this is after the reciever was gutted, and the old trigger and plate removed.

103_1881.jpg

after cutting off the gas block and front sight block, i then gave the barrelled reciever to my buddy to weld up the old trigger holes and the ones where the screws held in the old stocks. and filed them down flush.

103_1892.jpg

103_1888.jpg

103_1887.jpg

i currently have the new gas block w/bayo lug installed, as well as the lower handguard retainer.

103_1915.jpg

i modded my CSS trigger guard so i coud still use a traditional pistol grip screw and nut for the "sandwich" effect for the reciever. cant even tell the trigger guard was cut.

103_1914.jpg

currently, im waiting for my front sight block and rear sight leaf and spring to come in from Europe, but this is how it is so far.

103_1911.jpg

103_1909.jpg

ill post more as i get more done.

Edited by The Dude
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job! You took it a lot further than I did. I didn't do the gas tube or the bayonet lug. Nor did I weld up the old holes.

I went TAPCO for my parts and them seem to be holding up fine, regardless of the fact that they are panned by a lot of people. I wasn't looking to go back to Retro AK. I liked the Galil fore end, so that's what I bought.

Guest The Dude

thanks! the gas bock was a pain i the ass. i didnt use a press, but a block of wood and a hammer. took some effort for sure to get it fully seated.

i was contemplating whether to do the full conversion or not. so i said to hell with it. if im going to be working on it, might as well do the whole ball of wax. i got my bullet guide from CSS and Greg is a pleasure to do business with.

i havent pinned my GB on yet, as im going to wait to fire the gun and see if i need to index it any further. my sights should be here in the next week or two. i went through k-var for most of my parts. i used Russian made parts where i could, and basically tried to make this as much as compliant with 922r as my SGL31. my pistol girp is Russian made, but i swapped out my gas piston for compliance.

tapco makes good products, and they have excellent customer service. but with that said, they make parts for these things so people can afford them. they should hold up fine.

what did you do for the old trigger holes?

Guest The Dude

thanks man. i agree. it is going to be sweet. and i look forward to posting its progress...as not many know what an AK 101 is.....thats exactly what i was going for....nice attention to detail brother!!!....

Edited by The Dude
  • 5 weeks later...

Looks awesome, my jealousy starts at your dimpled receiver and only gets worse towards the front. Thanks for posting, especially about the FSB, always read that you had to have a press, you did stress how difficult it was, but methinks what my next project will be.. Great Job, Kevin

P.S. How's she shoot?

Guest The Dude

thanks fellas.

i did shoot it last weekend before i had the front sight block installed. it functioned flawless with over 170 rds. of mixed ammo types. so after that i pinned the gas block on. my front sight block was a tad tricky, but not no where near impossible. ill take it out this weekend hopefully and get it zeroed in.

i found that when seating the gas block and FSB, i used a block of wood and a framing hammer, and to index it right/left on the barrel, i used a rubber mallet with blows directly to the parts. worked fine. i did use a vice on the barrel, to hold it in place, with some tuff, hard rubber over the vice jaws to keep them from biting the barrel as much as possible.

a press would have made it easier, but i didnt have acess to one. i dont have any problems with doing another the same way.

thanks again fellas. ill post some pics of her groups when i get her zeroed in.