.300blk pistol/sbr AR barrel

Guest nysos

Trying to narrow down my search to a particular barrel. I want one that is 10-11.5" in length.

AR Stoner has a bare bones 10.5" that I hear is crap. So I have ruled it out.

Rainer Arms has a 10.5", and Wilson Combat has an 11.3". I haven't been able to find any others in that size range. I know I could have one made, which I might have to do based off availability. Either way I think I might be waiting a while for a barrel, but figured I would try and have a particular barrel in mind in case I run across one at the gun show tomorrow.

Any suggestions as to any other brands?

edit:

Also found this spike's barrel.

Edited by nysos
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want I can give you the information for a guy that builds barrels to order. He uses McGowen blanks, which are great, and charges less that most other makers charge.

He is going to build me a SS 16" barrel with a pistol length gas system in 300 blackout. His lead time is 2 weeks. He has been building custom caliber AR's for a very long time. He builds DI 9mm, 357SIG and 7.62x25 Tokarev AR's regularly and can do ANY caliber you might want.

PM me and I will give you his info. He is a great guy to work with too.

Dolomite

I have heard some of the Stoner barrel have offset ports or locator pins. Not by much but some have enough of a problem that you either have a canted gas block or a partially blocked port.

If you are going that short you MUST have a pistol length system gas system in order for it to run reliably. You can open the port on a barrel that short with a carbine length gas system that short but the port is going to be HUGE. That is in order to get enough pressure to cycle reliably and that would be with Ssupersonics only. And then you might get some slivering of the the bullet but not always.

Most 16" carbine length gas system barrel have ports larger than .100" and with a shorter barrel that needs to be increased even more. So for a barrel less than 16" you need to have a pistol length gas system.

And even with a pistol length gas system you need to choose between subsonics only OR supersonics only OR get an adjustable gas block to be able to shoot both. Without the adjustable gas block you will have a gun that will run supers but not subsonics or when you get it shooting subsonics shooting supersonics will over gas the gun.

For my 16" gun with a pistol length gas system I am looking at a gas port that is .80"-.85" for reliable function with subsonics. Then I have a restricted port on the 3 position gas block for when I shoot supersonics.

And even with a carbine length system on a 16" barrel getting a gun to shoot subsonics can be very finicky. And if you do get them to shoot subsonics, supers are now out of the question. At least not without the adjustable gas block.

Dolomite

Guest ThePunisher

Trying to narrow down my search to a particular barrel. I want one that is 10-11.5" in length.

AR Stoner has a bare bones 10.5" that I hear is crap. So I have ruled it out.

Rainer Arms has a 10.5", and Wilson Combat has an 11.3". I haven't been able to find any others in that size range. I know I could have one made, which I might have to do based off availability. Either way I think I might be waiting a while for a barrel, but figured I would try and have a particular barrel in mind in case I run across one at the gun show tomorrow.

Any suggestions as to any other brands?

edit:

Also found this spike's barrel.

Have you checked out PWS. They have a 9.75 barrels in 300 blk.

6.8 - noveske uses poly rifling and I am going to try and start casting before end of year so that I can shoot this gun cheaper, so that sort of rules out noveske.

Gordon, please do PM me the info for the barrel maker over - if the price is right then 2 weeks isn't long at all. Especially considering it will probably be another 2 months before I get anywhere close to being finished with this build.

punisher -

My main reasoning for length is a chart I saw showing FPS gain with barrel length for a particular load. Pretty much the 300 maxes out at just about a 16" barrel (well not really maxes out, but there is considerable less gain in velocity in barrels longer than 16"), from 6"-12" it is a extremely steap gain in FPS. I didn't want anything TOO short, but also wanted to achieve decent velocities without making it too hard to shoot subs. All of that info put me into wanting said barrel lengths of 10-11ish. I also plan on using a 10" freefloat handguard so I can't go any shorter than that.

I have been doing some research on the 300blktlk forums and many of the guys that did SBRs and pistols in the caliber regret going 6"-8" range in barrels. For an SBR 10-12 seems like the sweet spot.

If I am on my desktop later tonight compared to my ipad I will see if I can find that chart if any are interested.

Edited by nysos