Went to the gun store today...

jay

...and came home with a nice Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm. I shot the xd9 sub-compact while I was there and didn't like the way it felt in my hand. After shooting the m&p, I was hooked. It's a great size for carry and was a tad bit cheaper than the xd (plus there's a $30.00 mail-in rebate going on right now).

The only question I have is does anyone know if Smith and Wesson makes (or will make in the near future) a pinky extension for the magazine? If not, I'll probably buy another magazine with the extension.

I've only shot about 50 rounds through it, but like it so far. :D

Jay

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrBoomBoom

Jay,

I didn't see any on the Smith and Wesson website, you might check Midway, Brownell's etc. We got our son an M&P Compact 9 for his birthday and he loves it. He even let me shoot it a few times. What a nice gun. Congrats.

I got the same gun and love it. I could've swore that I saw the little pinky extensions somewhere but can't seem to find them now. If I see them again I'll let you know. I'm going to a gun show in a couple of weeks in Knoxville and hope I can find one there.

Read the instruction good when tearing down this gun to clean. You've got a little little thing in the magazine well you have to move out for the slide to come off.

• Administrator

First, you should consider signing up for the M&P Pistols forum.

Second, for a while there, you could call Smith & Wesson customer support and ask for the extended baseplates for the magazines. They would send them out free of charge at the time. The last I heard, however, they had started selling them rather than giving them away.

Also, you need to put a few hundred rounds through the gun before you seriously consider carrying it for self defense. The compact models were especially bad about locking the slide back prematurely because of weak springs in the slide stop lever. S&W will fix this for you and pays shipping both directions. It took about 5 days for me to get my 9c back from them a year ago when it started acting up.

Enjoy your new gun. :up:

Thanks for the info, Tungsten. I've emailed customer service about the extended baseplate for the magazine.

I definitely don't plan on carrying it until I've had at least a few hundred rounds through it. I'll keep an eye on it for the slide locking problem. I'm glad you mentioned that, I hadn't heard it before. I've generally heard really good things about this gun. I think I'm really going to like it.

Jay