Finally finished my Saiga 7.62 conversion...

Sweet! I was thinking about converting my Saiga but I got a sweet stock on it and am now looking for a scope. Here's my baby...

Olga3.jpg

I intend on getting the feed ramp installed so I can use any AK mags. The mags in the pic aren't mine but I think she looks better with them. I think I'll leave her as is for right now although she sights like crap. I can hit a target at 100 yards but not dead center. I think I'd be dead on with a good scope. Any ideas guys?

I recommend the Nikon ProStaff 3-4x40 or any of the Russian POSP scopes...BTW, you don't believe you have a legal gun w/ the high capacity mags and no other changes.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I recommend the Nikon ProStaff 3-4x40 or any of the Russian POSP scopes...BTW, you don't believe you have a legal gun w/ the high capacity mags and no other changes.

Correct-o-mundo. Modifying the rifle to accept high capacity mags without changing anything else is a violation of 922r. Will anybody know? Probably not. Will anybody say anything? Probably not. But if you like to stay on the good side of the law, you might as well do the full blown conversion and stay legal if you wanna add a high cap mag UNLESS you plan on using the high cap mags made by Saiga specifically for their rifles. If that's the case, then that's perfectly legal without any other changes.

Guest Schmootika

I do know about the legalities of changing my baby to accept the high cap mags. I ordered the feeding ramp from Dinzag which is an american company. Would the feeding ramp not be considered an american part and therefore comply with the laws?

Thanks for the scope recommend...I will look it up today.

Or you could go with a 3x33 Acog thats what Im using...its pretty much the coolest thing ever....also Eotechs arent too bad...im using a 552?

you can get the "heavy duty" scope rail from Cheaperthandirt or centerfiresystems

I have the same stock as you shmoot on both my 7.62x39 and .308 Saiga I bought the surefire hi-cap polymer mags cause they have the bolt hold open feature....each mag counts for 3 922r parts fwiw

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
mucho more info
Guest Schmootika
Or you could go with a 3x33 Acog thats what Im using...its pretty much the coolest thing ever....also Eotechs arent too bad...im using a 552?

you can get the "heavy duty" scope rail from Cheaperthandirt or centerfiresystems

I have the same stock as you shmoot on both my 7.62x39 and .308 Saiga I bought the surefire hi-cap polymer mags cause they have the bolt hold open feature....each mag counts for 3 922r parts fwiw

I thought about getting those mags but my boyfriend has an AK and I really wanted to use his mags so we can just grab, lock, load and shoot.

I want the scope rail that has the flip lever on it so I don't have to unscrew it everytime I want to clean the little beast but I am not sure what kind of scope I wanted. I was looking over the Nikons earlier and several of those may suit my needs. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Guest bkelm18
I do know about the legalities of changing my baby to accept the high cap mags. I ordered the feeding ramp from Dinzag which is an american company. Would the feeding ramp not be considered an american part and therefore comply with the laws?

Yes the feed ramp is an American part, however, it does not count since it is not an original part of the rifle. You have to swap stuff out for it to count. The basic 5 for making it legal are : buttstock, pistol grip, and fire control group (which counts as three). **You have to have 10 or less foreign made parts in order to use high cap standard AK mags**, so by swapping out those 5 things with American made parts (I know you aren't really swapping the pistol grip, but it counts), you reduce your foreign made parts to 10. Just adding American parts doesn't count. You have to swap. Stupid law, I know.

Guest bkelm18
How about using US made hi-cap mags? Not the Saiga ones, but regular AK mags.

Doesn't matter. High cap mags are high cap mags. That's one of the reasons why we allow the Saigas to be imported is because it doesn't accept hi-cap mags.

Edited by bkelm18

I don't believe so since the feed ramp is not a part that comes on the rifle. I think there is a list of parts which count and can be replaced, but I am no expert. Check with the guys at www.saiga-12.com for definitive answers.

OK, so here's a question. An American Company, Sure Fire, makes Hi-Cap mags for the Saiga, and sells them on their website. On many other forums, there's all kinds of people with the Hi-cap mags in their Saigas, and no mention of 922, since it's a US-Made part.

So, with a US made feed ramp, and a US-Made non-Saiga hi-cap mag (Regular AK Mag), like Pro-Mag, why is it in violation of 922?

There's just so many websites that tell you how to convert to hi-cap mags, and on every forum I'm on, everyone does it.. Somebody needs to explain it once and for all.

ANOTHER EDIT:

After digging around in the 922 section of Saiga12, the feed ramp and mag counts as a total of 4 US parts. FR-1 Mag-3. So it's good to go, as long as we don't put a commie mag in it.

Edited by Loki
add
Guest bkelm18
OK, so here's a question. An American Company, Sure Fire, makes Hi-Cap mags for the Saiga, and sells them on their website. On many other forums, there's all kinds of people with the Hi-cap mags in their Saigas, and no mention of 922, since it's a US-Made part.

So, with a US made feed ramp, and a US-Made non-Saiga hi-cap mag (Regular AK Mag), like Pro-Mag, why is it in violation of 922?

There's just so many websites that tell you how to convert to hi-cap mags, and on every forum I'm on, everyone does it.. Somebody needs to explain it once and for all.

ANOTHER EDIT:

After digging around in the 922 section of Saiga12, the feed ramp and mag counts as a total of 4 US parts. FR-1 Mag-3. So it's good to go, as long as we don't put a commie mag in it.

No. The feed ramp is not a "listed" part. Aka: its not part of the original rifle. Here's the part list:

A Saiga Rifle in factory configuration has 14 parts.

A Saiga shotgun threaded for chokes has 14 parts.

A Saiga shotgun not threaded for chokes has 13 parts.

(parts on a factory config saiga are in bold)

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks, trunnion (rifles only)

(5) Muzzle attachments (shotguns w/ threaded barrels only)

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstock

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

You must replace the parts in bold so that 10 or less of them are foreign made. In other words, pick 4 or 5 items in bold, and replace them with US made parts. That's the only way to be 922r compliant. "Add ons" like Dinzag's feed ramp do not count.

Thanks bkelm. That's the info I've been trying to dig up, but I tell ya, EVERY website I've been on regarding Saigas say it's perfectly all right to put in a feed ramp and buy a 30 rounder and get busy. With no other mods to the rifle. I bet you 5 bucks there's a few people on this board that have the same thing.

But, I want to be legal, so I plan on replacing:

Mag-3 parts

piston and bolt carrier-2 parts

How's that?

Guest bkelm18
Thanks bkelm. That's the info I've been trying to dig up, but I tell ya, EVERY website I've been on regarding Saigas say it's perfectly all right to put in a feed ramp and buy a 30 rounder and get busy. With no other mods to the rifle. I bet you 5 bucks there's a few people on this board that have the same thing.

But, I want to be legal, so I plan on replacing:

Mag-3 parts

piston and bolt carrier-2 parts

How's that?

That will work just fine. 922r is pretty confusing. But that list is the simplest way to look at it. I really don't care if someone builds their Saiga legally or not, just as long as they understand that they're doing it one way or the other.

Guest bkelm18
Hammer and Disconnector would be cheap and easy and allow you to keep the original trigger/stock/handguard, etc. since you don't won't to "convert" it.

Buy a G2 FCG kit and just don't use the trigger.

I took a close look at it, yeah if you just used the disconnect and hammer it would work.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest bkelm18
Damn bolt carrier is too expensive. How about a US made return spring assembly from falcon arms?

I'm not sure which part on the list that would fall under. Dinzag sells a FCG for non-converted Saigas that count as 2 compliance parts. Or you could by a G2 FCG and just use the disconnector and hammer which counts as two parts.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Loki

Allrighty, first, thanks for the input and help in meeting 922 laws. We wanted to use the Romanian and Russian 30 round mags we already had, so we required a few more parts.

Installed Tapco Hammer and disconnector, installed US gas piston. Needed one more part, so we just picked some Russian mags to be "dedicated" Saiga mags and installed US Tapco followers. Plus we still have the factory 10-rounders, but I understand that as soon as the 10 round mag is put in the rifle it's no longer an "assault Rifle" anymore and parts don't count.

That gives US a MAINLY Russian Hi-Cap Saiga with 4 US parts that don't affect the factory look of the gun.

Get some pics soon.

Guest bkelm18
Allrighty, first, thanks for the input and help in meeting 922 laws. We wanted to use the Romanian and Russian 30 round mags we already had, so we required a few more parts.

Installed Tapco Hammer and disconnector, installed US gas piston. Needed one more part, so we just picked some Russian mags to be "dedicated" Saiga mags and installed US Tapco followers. Plus we still have the factory 10-rounders, but I understand that as soon as the 10 round mag is put in the rifle it's no longer an "assault Rifle" anymore and parts don't count.

That gives US a MAINLY Russian Hi-Cap Saiga with 4 US parts that don't affect the factory look of the gun.

Get some pics soon.

Awesome. Yeah, unless you are going to be adding a pistol grip, which I know you said you aren't, you only need to worry about 922r if you are using hi-cap (11+) mags. :screwy:

• 2 weeks later...
Well, my 4x24 POSP scope from Belarus finally came in. This is the one with the 400m reticle, calibrated for the 7.62 cartridge.

IMG_3372_Large_.JPG

Click for full-size.

Looks good Brandon. Can't wait to see it at the range.