Shot my pistol today!!

So I got to feeling better and went out to my buddys farm and shot about 40 rounds threw my .40 cal S&W, I love it!! First time i shot a .40 cal Nice kick to it, I suck at aiming though, Out of 40 rounds I hit the 2 liter coke bottle about 12 times!!! LOL Man i need to go to ontarget and practice on a actual target, But I love it, Might be purchasing a S&W .380 from my buddys dad for my wife since I gave my mom my Bersa .380 Take care guys

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

An actual target will really help you see why you're not hitting what you're aiming at. For instance, if you shoot right handed and your shots are hitting low and to the left, you're flinching when you pull the trigger. They'll be low and to the right if you're shooting left handed.

Stuff like that helps you fix the problem. Shooting coke bottles is fun, but not near as informative. :D

Guest GlocKingTN

Glad to hear you like the gun! Nothing sucks more than buying something, and not liking it after you have bought it!

And Tungsten is right, you would get more information from a target than you do from a coke bottle! The target will tell you how to fix your aiming among other things!

Guest dotsun

But paper targets don't explode spectacularly like water filled bottles do. :D Me and my fiance just got back from teaching those evil bottles a lesson. It was her first time really shooting and we had a blast.

Dave

Oh and I popped the cherry on my new Glock 26, too. :D

Guest GlocKingTN
Thanks tungsten, I am shooting right handed and hitting below it to the left like you said, What can I do to help with that?

Sounds like you may have too much finger on the trigger. Try putting just the tip on the trigger. And squeezing, not pulling the trigger!:up:

Guest Hyaloid

A 7 o'clock hit can be caused by "jerking" the trigger or "flinching" to anticipate recoil...

Slow trigger pull... semi-surprised by the shot, and watch the front sight (followthrough).

Interesting side note, I suffered a little from this at first too ( I started pistol shooting with .45 ACP... not recommended). I bought a good .22, and it helped immensely to learn trigger control and sight picture maintenance with good followthrough.

With the recent purchase of a hammerless GLOCK, I hardly flinch ever now. 9mm = more practice, but also not having that that hammer slowly moving backwards as I squeeze the trigger may have had somethign to do with it too.

I generally start my range sessions with 50 or so rounds of .22 to reinforce my basic principals, then move up in caliber.

Guest RN MEDIC

Most everything I read says if you want to cure a flinch, shoot that .22 some more and it will really help. Glad you enjoy your new piece.

RN

Guest Phantom6

Yeah, what GlocKingTN said. That trigger should cross somewhat diagonally across the first pad of the trigger finger. Any deeper into the trigger than that and you'll "pull 'em off". Also, here is the URL to some analysis targets. The target is sectioned into different zones to analyze typical shooting grip and release problems. Actually, if you are shooting groups anywhere on any target, these will help you as you compare targets. http://makarov.com/funstuff.html .There are targets in PDF form there for both left and right handed shooters. There are similar targets and explanations in the Appendix of the NRA's Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook. The analysis is explained much more thoroughly there.

Thanks guys will try out the finger tip deal on it next week, I definally (SP) have to get better before I go for the test!!:up: I guess practicing helps

Dry practice helps a lot as you don't expend ammo and you can concentrate on the fundamentals:

1.) Stance from which you plan to shoot

2.) Grip

3.) Sight alignment/sight Picture

4.) Breath control

5.) Trigger Squeeze and

6.) Follow through

Here is a Dry Practice checklist that I give to our students-

Here is a checklist that I give to our...

Practice makes perfect- but only if you practice perfectly. In your practice consider these fundamentals carefully every time and you can become a master handgunner. Practice crap and you become a Crap Master :D

Guest db99wj
Yeah, what GlocKingTN said. That trigger should cross somewhat diagonally across the first pad of the trigger finger. Any deeper into the trigger than that and you'll "pull 'em off". Also, here is the URL to some analysis targets. The target is sectioned into different zones to analyze typical shooting grip and release problems. Actually, if you are shooting groups anywhere on any target, these will help you as you compare targets. http://makarov.com/funstuff.html .There are targets in PDF form there for both left and right handed shooters. There are similar targets and explanations in the Appendix of the NRA's Basics of Pistol Shooting handbook. The analysis is explained much more thoroughly there.

Dry practice helps a lot as you don't expend ammo and you can concentrate on the fundamentals:

1.) Stance from which you plan to shoot

2.) Grip

3.) Sight alignment/sight Picture

4.) Breath control

5.) Trigger Squeeze and

6.) Follow through

Here is a Dry Practice checklist that I give to our students-

Here is a checklist that I give to our...

Practice makes perfect- but only if you practice perfectly. In your practice consider these fundamentals carefully every time and you can become a master handgunner. Practice crap and you become a Crap Master :up:

Obligatory safety post: Make sure all live ammo is in another room before you conduct dry fire testing, this is non-negotiable. Unload, check your handgun to make sure it is clear, take, ALL ammo into another room, come back and make sure gun is clear, get ready to practice, before you start, check to make sure gun is clear and no live ammo is in the same room.:D

Guest GlocKingTN
Obligatory safety post: Make sure all live ammo is in another room before you conduct dry fire testing, this is non-negotiable. Unload, check your handgun to make sure it is clear, take, ALL ammo into another room, come back and make sure gun is clear, get ready to practice, before you start, check to make sure gun is clear and no live ammo is in the same room.:up:

I think db is saying, please be careful, and no ammo in the room....:D