Who made YOUR Garand?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack, I looked on CMP.. a rack grade rifle (well below the quality of the one you bought) is about 395.00 ...and you cant currently get any grade better than that...they're not available unless you go to the auction portion of the website.

yours is at least a service grade (sold out).

you got a great deal!!!

Guest jackdog

Since I actually trained with the M1 garand in my early years as a Marine, plus the history of this weapon which includes no less than three US war and conflicts. The History of this rifle is as important to me as the grade of the rifle. Tower thanks for all your help with the purchase. That's what makes this group so special, members willing to help other members. Hope to be able yto return the favor to you or another member soon. Also hope we indeed meet later this year and get to shoot together.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rogue

gee , i like my dec 1941 winchester , piece buy piece i'm trying to restore the old girl, found a original vintage small base gas cylinder in canada , thought i'd never see one , also have two IHC and H&R and my favorite a sprinfield early 1950's built m1-d , hope this helps rogue

Guest LiLBucket

I personally hold the utmost repect for the Garand. Several different reasons.....

The first is that it's proved to be quite ellusive to me. There have been several occasions when it was "planned" to get to shoot one and SOMETHING prevented it from happening. From bad weather canceling a range day to one being stolen from the person that was going to let me shoot theirs the day before we went to shoot. A few other instances that similar things happened too!!

Second, my dad has always told me stories of training with one when he was in the service twelventy some odd years ago and how PERFECT "she" is....yadda, yadda....yadda...

Third, my grandfather was in the Canadian military his whole life, beginning service in WWII (he has since past:( ) and he told me of many occasions he experienced with one. I lived with him as he was going through chemo and became very close to him. He told me stories of his experiences in the war that I found out after he had past, that noone had ever heard. Apparently his whole life he was unnable to speak of his duties during the war (he was an engineer the rest of his service), so much so that my grandmother honestly had no idea of what he did to any capacity in Europe (a gunner on a Bren carrier, light armored recon). EVERY night for six months we talked about anything imaginable, and it always led back to his life experiences and lessons (he would fall asleep many times mid sentence due to the chemo, but fought SO hard to stay awake every single night!). I realized after he passed that it was a "dying song" of sorts. N-E ways, he had many stories involving a Garand and whenever he mentioned that name, he would sort-of pause, purse his lips, and give a hardly noticeable nod of approval.:up:

So even if I never get to own one, let alone shoot one, that particular gun will always mean something to me in a unique way.:P

R.I.P.-Roland "Rolly" Albert Pelissier, Grampa!!:rock:

Bucket, come out to the house this weekend bud..>I'll see about you shooting a garand.

mark has several..one with my name on it :P

I know all about those dying songs of old soldiers.I should imagine that there are more than a couple of us here that have heard them..and some of us here who will be telling them one day...and I know what he was doing.

To Serviceman Albert Pelissier, Hold until relieved.:rock: We'll see you when we get there sir. Sgt Elliott Fitchett B co. 2/7 Cav.

Its because of people like him..that there are people like us.

Guest LiLBucket
Bucket, come out to the house this weekend bud..>I'll see about you shooting a garand.

mark has several..one with my name on it :up:

I know all about those dying songs of old soldiers.I should imagine that there a re more than a couple of us here that have heard them..and some of us here who will be telling them one day...and I know what he was doing.

To Serviceman Albert Pelissier:usa: We'll see you when we get there sir.

Its because of people like him..that there are people like us.

Man, you seriously brought a tear to my eye! Thank you for your service and respect!

Sunday is the only day I can make it out this weekend. I'll be on Roanoke, VA tomorrow looking into a career move. Let me know how that sounds.

Thanks again!

Man, you seriously brought a tear to my eye! Thank you for your service and respect!

Its tit for tat bud. I've got a few pals that I save a thought for like that.

"no greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friends"

sunday works for me...give me a holler when you want to come out and I'll meet up with ya and you can do some shootin!

Elliott

Hey lilbucket!

I've got the "range" set up out at the property, and have pulled out an m1a2 rifle, My brothers' H&R Garand (with permission from him) as well as my mauser 8mm rifle, the makarov russian 9mm pistol, my thunder5, my browning hipower 9mm, Julies' S&W22A-1, and if she wants, her 38 rossi revolver...its not ALL of our guns, but it'll be MORE than enough for a great afternoon.

I don't care to shoot the Garand..I've shot it before, but I have 2 clips (16 rounds) Just for you to shoot.

I also have a small box of 7.62. (about 50 rounds) for the m1a2. you're welcome to shoot it as well..

I will have enough ammo for all the weapons I bring..so you should have a great time shooting! Bring your S/O...she can shoot with Julie!

I also have hearing protection for you if you don't have any...I DO suggest you bring some shooting glasses though.

On a side note, I usually don't shoot on the Sabbath, but I reckon that the good Lord expects us all to be prepared..so I'm going to make an exception tomorrow and pray that it isnt disrespect....its my last full day at home for a couple of months and He knows I need the trigger time.

• 2 weeks later...