Firearm Raffles

Guest TNDixieGirl

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In TN anyways, there is really no distinction regarding what you are raffling off, as long as the revenue is collected only for a 501©(3) charitable organization at a registered event: http://www.state.tn.us/sos/charity/gaming/index.htm

http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2003/OP/OP49.pdf

If a game of chance is held for profit in TN, criminal charges up to and including a class E felony (for $10,000 and above), are the likely result.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Thanks Eddie.

The scenario is, on another forum, which involves folks from all other states and different countries as well, they're talking about holding a firearm raffle. Upon looking up other states laws, I've found some that say you even need a gaming permit for a raffle because it's recognized as gambling. Couldn't something like that get the forum owner in huge trouble?

I asked here first because I know there was some legal flap over a raffle advertised once on this forum, but I didn't know the legal ramifications.

As Eddie says, the rules for a raffle in Tennessee are pretty limiting. Other states' laws may be more or less restrictive.

When you start doing an online raffle, you are in all probability involving yourself in interstate commerce and subject to Federal gaming law.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.