Range Ammo Report

I just returned from a 3 day Patrol Rifle Instructor Course. During the course, 8 Law Enforcement Instructors, including myself, shot around 6,500 rounds of 5.56mm. We all learned a lot about availability and reliability of ammo in this caliber.

The surprising part of this challenging course was the good performance of Silver Bear Ammo.

Several LEO's shot this ammo, simply because they could not get anything else.

I can now say with confidence, go ahead and buy a case or two of this ammo.

The normal prerequisites apply. A CLEAN firearm, CLEAN chamber, and good magazines.

J&G Sales, http://www.jgsales.com/ has Silver Bear ammo.

I shot my reloads with 25 gr Accurate Arms 2015 and the Hornady 55 gr FMJBT bullet. The 2015 gave minimum muzzle flash during the Reduced Light part of our training. The Lee Factory Crimp die gave reliable feeding and sturdy ammo, which the AR-15 platform requires.

All of us shot the AR Platform, from several makers. All performed well.

As the Senior Student there (read oldest guy to take the course---EVER), let me say that the installed HiViz front sight allowed me to take the course with an iron-sighted firearm, and excell!

Think real hard about the HiViz front sight, over any night sight.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

Hey thats good to hear. My favorite plinking reload is 25gr of 2230 under the cheapest 55gr fmj bullet i can find. There's some flash out of a 16" barrel though. Pick up some velocity in a 20".

The wolf 75gr hp's have been getting good press over on ar15.com. Anyone shooting those?

Guest Mugster
Your load is close to mine.I use 22 grs of 2230 with a 55gr fmj.Nice and accurate enough for me.

Hey, the new accurate manual lists 22.5 as a starting load for a nosler 55gr slug. You might want to bump up a little unless you're really getting consistent clocks off it. I know they backed it down from higher numbers a few years ago too. The velocities they have listed there are about +50 over what I'm clocking out of a 20" ar, FWIW.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/Accurate%20v322%20web%20publication.pdf

Edited by Mugster

Another sane man , enough of the WOLF bashing. Just shoot it and clean your dang weapon and shut up. as long as your ejector can take the strain of ejecting real ammo. :D

FWIW, a spare extractor from DPMS is about $15. Considering the cost of commercial ammo vs the cost of Silver Bear, if an extractor was needed every 1000 rounds, the savings are still dramatic. The chances of you actually breaking an extractor are slim and none. The AR platform is VERY sturdy!:D

It takes about 90 seconds to change out an extractor. If you do not feel comfortable about this, I will be glad to meet you at Eastside Gun shop, where the Rabbi dwells, and install your parts gratis. I have not asked Rabbi for permission to post this, but I do not think he will mind.:koolaid:

Guest Grout
Hey, the new accurate manual lists 22.5 as a starting load for a nosler 55gr slug. You might want to bump up a little unless you're really getting consistent clocks off it. I know they backed it down from higher numbers a few years ago too. The velocities they have listed there are about +50 over what I'm clocking out of a 20" ar, FWIW.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/Accurate%20v322%20web%20publication.pdf

Ugh,You know what?.My load is 24.5 grs. I must have had the number 22 on my brain,either that or I'm just getting old.:P

Edited by Grout
Guest Grout
FWIW, a spare extractor from DPMS is about $15. Considering the cost of commercial ammo vs the cost of Silver Bear, if an extractor was needed every 1000 rounds, the savings are still dramatic. The chances of you actually breaking an extractor are slim and none. The AR platform is VERY sturdy!:P

I have been saying the same thing for years.

Guest Mugster
Ugh,You know what?.My load is 24.5 grs. I must have had the number 22 on my brain,either that or I'm just getting old.:rolleyes:

Haha. I hear ya brother.

The Silver Bear is steel cased, but the case is Zinc coated. These shells go through the AR like quicksilver. It seems Guns and Leather had some, but their inventory comes and goes quickly. They do a great job of keeping the shelves stocked.

On a side note, the newer Brown Bear is polymer coated, and runs through the AR well as long as the firearm is kept reasonabley clean.

BTW, the cops who were shooting Silver Bear ran low on ammo and I donated some domestic ammo to the cause. We had fired about 700 rounds during 3 14 hour days. I don't think any of us did more with our Patrol rifles than to oil the dirt on the bolt and carrier (seriously).

Their gun transitioned from steel to brass cases without incident. Same point of impact, no excessive stoppages, etc.

All of us were experiencing stoppages by the third day. Our Instructor, Bank Miller from Action Target/ITI Armor, wanted us to become unconciously competent with our firearms and at reducing stoppages under stress. Fortunately, the AR platform is EXTREMELY user friendly, other than being very loud.

I had a new Fed American Eagle separate a case in my Colt's. Luckily, I ALWAYS carry a Broken Shell Extractor when shooting a self loading rifle. Yes, the headspace is well within limits. +.004"

The Silver Bear used by several LEOS did not have this problem. It took the rifle out off the line. I transitioned to the handgun after 2 Tap-Rack-Ready attempts. In a gunfight, I would likely have DIED if I had tried to clear the rifle TWO times.

If the long gun vapor locks, IMMEDIATELY transition to the sidearm while seeking cover. THEN, assess your situation and determine if you need to get the rifle back in the fight, or if you can end the fight with the sidearm.

Most stoppage reduction drills for the AR are IDENTICAL to the ones for the 1911 pistol. Failure to fire reduction drill is Tap-Rack-Ready. Double feed stoppage reduction drill is Rip-Rack-Rack-Reload-Tap-Rack-Ready.

I no longer train to Tap-Rack-Bang. The offender may give up, be wounded and down, or may have turned his back and ran while you are reducing the stoppage. Firing under these conditions may cost you everything in Criminal or Civil court.

...... I no longer train to Tap-Rack-Bang. The offender may give up, be wounded and down, or may have turned his back and ran while you are reducing the stoppage. Firing under these conditions may cost you everything in Criminal or Civil court.

John,

Interesting point. I have always wondered how my Military training would affect the outcome of a "civil" engagement.

I often run into problems shooting an IDPA match since my standard battle drill is the shoot until the threat goes down. I tend to fire alot and let the best two hits be scored. Damn the idea of "Everybody gets served Once" since that isn't how I've been trained or reacted in a fight.

Data from GWOT is showing that threats are being engaged with several shots before moving on to the next target.