Kahr CW45, Ruger SR40c, or older Makarov 9x18......

Guest polishprepper

Guest polishprepper
I know they are three different calibers, sizes, brands, and ages.....give me the good bad and ugly.....debating on which to buy.....reliability, price of ammo, and carry options
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

9x18 is priced like regular 9mm.   The true makarov is 100% reliable, many owners have over 10k rounds through them.  The guns are super accurate (IMHO this is due largely to a fixed barrel).  The knockoff pistols are a little more rough, harder to shoot, more recoil, but just as reliable.   Its a little stronger than 380 ( a lot stronger if you use older ammo or load your own) and weaker than 9mm.   The pistols can be had for under $300 usually, the ammo for $10 a box roughly (reload it for $3-4 a box, and can cut up 9mm cases to make brass).

The PM is a heavy, all steel gun, with a lowish capacity (8 rounds if you do not find a double stack, which are harder to find and and hard to find good magazines for).   It is on the big size for a pocket gun, I pocket carried mine for almost a decade.   Mine, after many many thousands of rounds still makes a quarter sized group at 15 yards. 

The 3 top negatives: heavy, long DA/SA trigger with a sloppy SA pull, oddball caliber difficult to find ammo "in stock" locally.

The 3 top positives:  Accurate, 100% reliable, inexpensive platform. 

You cannot find a better gun in the 200-300 dollar range.  It only has a small handful of parts total, and you can buy 90% of them in an inexpensive parts kit for spares (I have yet to need anything more than a fresh recoil spring though). 

It is designed to shoot steel cased ammo, and you can get tons of junky imported ammo on the cheap  ---- most of this stuff is decent and reasonable accurate, but not as good as handloads of course.

quirks:  the PM mag release is at the heel of the gun grip.  Takes practice, but its ambidex!

the cz82 is a higher capacity, fatter gun with more parts than a grandfather clock but also reliable and excellent alternative to the PM.   I do not care for the FEG and similar 9x18s --- they are just not as good as the PM & cz offerings.   You can *see* the very similar cz75 design of the 82 internally, though externally its a bit different.  

Edited by Jonnin
I had a CW45 and it was ok. It conceals about as well as a baby Glock, the grip is longer but thinner. It is an extremely rough gun, as in it has sharp corners and rough edges. I have tough hands and It was constantly giving me cuts. It was extremely accurate but it didn't like reloads and they don't like many hollow points. The trigger was ok by me and was about as revolver like as any I have ever felt. 1911 magazines can be fitted to work with the CW45 but I don't know that it's worth the trouble and the extensive testing.

I have a CW45 and I am well pleased with it. Prices are less than $400-$425. It is accurate, reloable and a good carry45acp. Slim grip so can fit most hands 6+1 capacity with regular mags. Only comes with one mag. I bought a used mag for $20 and ordered a 3rd new 7 round mag for $32. I also have a PM9 which is my primary CC. Lots of luck with your choice!

I kind of wished that I would have kept the CW45, the cheapest I have ever seen them was like $360 new OTD. I may try another one someday. I just never could get the warm fuzzy about mine. Some guys have complained about extractors being blown out and the slide release working its way loose but I never experienced any of that. Kahr's customer service isn't the worse and isn't the best. To my understanding they make you pay to get it there and get it back. It's also common for a gun to go back 2 or 3 times for the same problem.
No info on the Ruger but I'll share about the CW again I carry it on a daily basis the fact that it's a the fact that it's a nice single stack as stated above I use 1911 magazines so gun shows for 10-15 bucks is pretty sweet for back up mags. The double action pull is a little hefty, but with a little polishing I've dropped mine the 3 and a half pounds I've put many Winchester defenders and gold dots as well as m as well as my reloads wit with full metal metal jackets an and hollow points I could talk forever about the gun I do love it but it comes down to preference shoot them first and good luck. Oh yeah, I use OWB and no issues with concealment, but she's not a pocket pistol, thats for sure