Anyone have experience with Dave Ramsey classes?

I'm doing the plan now. I have made some huge strides but still have a ways to go. The budget system has actually made my marriage a little closer. We cook here and rarely go out to eat. We spend more time together and helping each other out around the house. 

Definitely recommend the book and podcasts (free). If you want, you can do the class online (a bit cheaper) and at your own pace. Once you get the debt paid off, and are ready to start building wealth (and thus on your way to being an evil rich person); his website can hook you up with people his company has vetted and approved to help you understand investing, taxes, real estate better (his ELP) program.

For you small business guys, you should look into his book / podcast series called Entreleadership. Definitely a good read for leadership advice.

I'm not a salesman for him, but strongly believe in the idea of his system. It's worked for my life. Also ... the podcasts give me something to listen to on the drive to work and keep me motivated.

On another note, he's also a gun collector.

If anyone wants the CD set (8 discs i think), drop me a PM. I have mixed feelings about the course. On life insurance, i think he is off track

Overall,.I think the principles are solid. However, not everyone can apply everything. When my wife and i took the course, we killed a lot of debt but we were not in the position to live debt free at 21. Our income simply did not provide that opportunity. If you are between 30-40...i think this program will change you life if you can execute the plan!!

Edited by Parrothead

I love his slogan "Live like no one else now, so you can live like no one else later".  

Spend less than you make, sacrifice WANTS in order to save, and you will get ahead.   You either cut your spending or increase your income.  After years of listening to him, that's what it all boils down to.  And don't be a slave to credit  just because you don't want to wait to get that new TV or car.

I do think there has to be a balance struck.  I don't think I would work 3 jobs for a year and never see my family just to get out of debt, but the principle is sound.  

And don't be a slave to credit  just because you don't want to wait to get that new TV or car.

This I disagree with, we have a couple of credit cards and one specifically that we use to pay almost everything with. That CC is hooked up to Southwest and we get 3-4 free flights per year somewhere. If we just wrote checks and paid cash everywhere, we would get zero free flights. And trust me, if you go overseas, you better have a visa and mastercard (especially in the Philippines) because there may only be 1 ATM within a 2-3 hour travel distance and it may take one or the other, but not both.

He speaks about not having any cards no matter what, but pay it off monthly and you never get charged interest and also get a bunch of free stuff.

Doesn't sound like you are a slave to credit, since you pay it off monthly.  So how is it that you disagree with me?

I also have a credit card that I use, and pay it off each statement.  I am not a slave to credit, I master it.  

i don't understand your reply.  I didn't mention credit CARDS, but rather CREDIT itself.

Edited by knox

Yeah sorry misread, most people that listen to Ramsey follow his statement "there is no such thing as responsible credit card use" (or something along those lines). It's a pretty darn good thing as long as it's used properly.