Springfield XDM 5.25 Comp 9mm: How to turn it into a "race gun"

alwaysonjohn

I was hoping you guys can help me turn my new Springfield into a true race gun (not that i'm competing anytime soon).  I was wanting ideas for the following:

• better trigger (no slop, lighter pull)? I know apex makes M&P triggers but who makes new springs and kits for the XDM 5.25?
  • reflex sight: how do I add a Burris fast fire or other reflex, should i get the slide cut or add an adapter?  What is the better optic (should i pay more for a trijicon)?
  • holster that can fit the reflex sight?
  • holster for extra mags? What is everyone using?
  • mag well & new base pads: what is the more used and reliable brand?

Thanks guys, i figured now would be a good time to invest into a handgun like this.  Let me know if i am forgetting something.

John Platt

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a trigger, look at Powder River Precision. I have their triggers in my XDM 5.25 and my XD9SC. The XDM trigger is 2.75lbs with very little over travel and a short reset. I did it myself during lunch one day. They also have striker springs, etc. to make it run like you want it. As for the other stuff I'll let some of the folks that don't shoot IDPA only answer that.

As Lagerhead as already mentioned, I don't think you can get a bet trigger than the PRP (Powder River Precision) trigger.  If this will be a true comp gun, I'd probably send it in and get the ultimate match trigger installed instead of just the drop in.  Although the drop in is what I had and loved in my XDm45c. 

I'd love to install a trigger kit in my wife's XDm9c, but she won't allow me.  She likes it just the way it is :)

As for holsters that allow for extra mags or with a burris reflex site -- Not sure. 

Good luck, and whatever info you find, I wouldn't mind seeing it, so post it here!

First I'll answer your questions, in my opinion:

So the final question... Why all the extra stuff, besides that it looks cool?  I would agree all of the XD series could use the PRP Ultimate Match trigger.    But building a $1500 gun will not magically make you shoot a competition better.  What does it matter if you're shooting a 2" group at 15 yards versus a 4" group?  The plate is 6"-8" across.  The real question is can you hit the target consistently with speed and accuracy?  That's what wins competitions, and half the time it's the latter that wins the comp.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE "race guns".  They are awesome to shoot, and if I had the extra money, I'd have the baddest looking gun on the block.  Just remember, money doesn't replace 1000s of rounds downrange.

Edited by itchytriggerfinger

i will talk to my local gunsmith about the ultimate match trigger, but that does look like the one to go with.  He's probably going to be doing the magwell as well if i could figure out which one i want.  I am going to wait on the red dot since it requires removing the sights and I don't really want to do that.  I will definitely go with a blade tech holster and I will probably get the competition kit that includes a holster, mag holders, and even a belt.  As for magwell i'm on the fence since i want a magwell brand that also makes the extensions for a perfect fit.  The gun came with three magazines so hopefully it won't cost too much to get three extensions and a magwell. 

As for shooting time, i can promise you i get plenty (in .40 and .45), but the 9mm in a full frame experience is new to me.  I just wanted a gun that i can run with faster follow-up shots and looked cool in the process of showing off.

Edited by alwaysonjohn