ORSA Steel Challenge

Thinking about trying the Steel Challenge at ORSA. I have a new to me Sig P226 and a .22 conversion kit. Would like to practice with it on more than paper targets at the indoor range.

Questions:

Is the group accepting of a newbie or is it sort of exclusive race gun type meet?

Would this gun work ok, I just want to have fun and practice, no plan or hope to win a competition?

Anyone on the board who is going to the next match and willing to take me under their wing?

Thanks,

Al

New, safe, shooters are always welcomed.  Rimfire is the way to go in Steel Challenge these days, you will go through at least 150 rounds, and probably much closer to 200 rounds.  If you want, you can also shoot pistol caliber carbines in the match.  There are a number of shooters using ARs with 22 uppers on them.  Ruger 10/22s are also just fine.

First time out, just be safe and have fun.  Unless your initials are JE, don't concern yourself with winning.

After you you get your feet wet with steel challenge, you really need to try USPSA.  Lots of shooting, lots of fun, but you can not shoot 22, have to go with 9mm or bigger.

• Like 1

I went to the match on Sat. Had a lot of fun until I ran out of CCI Mini Mags. The .22 conversion kit on my Sig 22 just would not work with 38 grain Federal. It jammed on every shot so I quit the match after stage three. Will get some high priced ammo on Gunbroker and go next month.

I went to two WalMarts, Gander Mountain and even sunk into going to Coal Creek, none had any CCI ammo. Had the usual Coal Creek experience. Two employees at the desk. Waited while one group checked in and another checked out for the range. Both finished at the same time. One employee walked off and the other said I'll be with you in a minute. He typed into the computer for about five minutes and they asked me what I needed. They must train them to give poor customer service.

Al

Edited by Knox Al
Guest Instructor Jon

Knox Al,

I am the Range Operations Manager at Coal Creek Armory, on behalf of myself and the new owners of Coal Creek I would like to apologize for your experience.  If there is anything I can do to make it up to you please contact me at the store.  I am there every evening Wednesday thru Sunday and would be happy to attempt to change your mind.  Feel free to contact me or the new owner Eric with any issues, we are trying to improve our store both in atmosphere and facilities.  I hope we given the opportunity to make this up to you.

Thank you,

Jon