Turkey Patterns

Getting ready for Spring Turkey season....decided to shoot a couple of patterns today.
First time shooting this Shotgun...picked up used from a TGO member last week.

Mossberg 835 UltiMag  12Ga with 24" No Slugs Barrel
Accumag Extra Full Turkey Choke
Federal Strut-Shok 3" Magnum Turkey Load
1 7/8oz #4
NOT The Flitecontrol....this is the cheaper Blue Box $10 at BassPro I think.

I only fired from  20 yards and 30 yards.
I used small cardboard silhouettes (had them in the car) so some pellets went off the paper.
The targets were on the ground leaned against a bush and I was shooting from Prone position

I counted 18 in the 3" circle from 30 yards
130 total in the 10" circle from 30 yards
37 in the 3" circle from 20 yards
Didn't count up the 10" circle from 20 yards (I think the Turkey died already)

C34A6D16-3995-4551-988F-F90A75241FE9-130
3EEA6264-4F50-4B54-8C09-2D31D132EEF5-130

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of circles draw a 2"x8" inch rectangle to represent the head and neck... That is a better representation of actual pattern for turkey hunting. Also with an extra full choke try some #5. The smaller pellets don't deform as bad with the tighter choke. May or may not improve the pattern.

Just for info. I shoot a 28" barrel on an 870 pump. I use 3" remington nitro #5. They shot harder and patterned better than any of the other 10 types I tried. Pick up a couple of phone books and compare penetration.

I pattern mine out to 50 yards. Most people won't shoot that far but I have confidence I can make that shot and get a clean kill. I do prefer them to be a bit closer. After all calling in a bird really close and listening to him drum makes me a happy hunter.

OK....

I printed out a few Turkey Head targets and bought some Flitecontrol #5 3" today.

Will be interesting to see what it does.

Also picked up a Slip-on Limbsaver :)

The Length of Pull was a little short on me, I was shooting in a T Shirt and I have bony shoulders...wasn't quite in the Pocket when I was shooting.

Won't make that mistake again!

I recommend sticking with the 10" circle for patterning. Knowing pellet count to a given yardage gives you confidence in killing to that distance. A nice even pattern within the 10" circle is the best. 

First, I would go to a smaller shot. #5's if you are going to stick to lead. #6 or #7 if you are willing to pay for HeviShot or similar "heavier than lead" round. 

shoot your 10" circle and then divide it into 4 parts. Count the pellets in each piece of pie. This will show you if you are evenly spreading your pattern. Find a shell that works well with your gun/choke combo. 

I would feel comfortable at whatever distance you can keep 100 pellets in the circle if using #4's. I would want more like 130 if using #6 or 150 using #7.

Let the gun decide how far you can safely shoot. 

I use a 3.5" #7 Hevi Shot with a .670" Pure Gold choke. I am close to 300 pellets in a 10" at 40 yards. I feel safe at 50 yards, but don't plan to shoot that far.

Edited by whiskey

Anybody have experience with Kent turkey shells? I bought a box and I've not tried them yet. But, have heard from a couple guys at work that they had bad experiences with them. I'm gonna try and see how they do in mne. I usually just shoot Win. 1 7/8 oz. #4 in mine and they do good but, couldn't find any the other day.

Edited by roverboy
Guest Jcochran88
[quote name="whiskey" post="900231" timestamp="1359572827"]
Very often the difference between 30 and 40 is drastic with #4's. lots of folks use 4's, but I would guess 10 times more use #5's.
Let us know how the next groups look.[/quote
#4's Didn't pattern worth crap from my 835 ultr-mag with kicks choke! Edited by Jcochran88

Google up some pictures of Hevi Shot #7's and look at how many more holes you get over a #4 or #5 pattern. Consider that the Hevi 7's penetrate like a #5 1/2 lead pellet and it shows the advantage they offer. I realize that not everyone wants to fork over 5 dollars or more per shotgun shell, but you really only need 4 or 5 at most per year once you get your gun patterned. 

I know turkey are in the big game category, but I promise you that Hevi Shot #7's will kill them dead as a door nail at every ethical turkey distance. I'm not going to declare that no one should ever shoot past 40 yards, but that is a good distance to consider a maximum. I killed a turkey at 50 yards a couple years ago with Hevi 7's, but I didn't think it was that far away. I know to alot old shotgunners, that #7's belong in the dove field, but don't sell them short before you try them. 

I not knocking anyone for using lead or for any other choice they make, I just want to share my good experiences with what I use.