Savage 25 or CZ 527 ??

Guest CZ2075

I am looking into buying a small caliber varmit gun, possibly in .204. I have narrowed it down at the momnet to these two guns. Does anyone have any first hand experience with either? I have handled the CZ Varmit, but haven"t found a 25 Walking Varmiter to play with. So far it appears the CZ is ahead, but Savages are usually fine shooters. I have no problem with an ugly gun that shoots well and is reliable. Based on internet research both have good and bad points, so I was hoping for some local first hand knowledge.

CZ 527 Varmit - pros: weight, craftsmanship, accuracy, magazine capacity

cons: price, bolt clearance issues with out high rings, some feeding issues

Savage 25 Walking Varmiter - pros: price, accuracy, accu trigger, american made

cons: sticky bolt, bad magazine design, poor quality control

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a CZ527 in 22 Hornet and love it. Trigger is adjustable for creep, poundage, and over travel. Also with the set trigget I have had it set down to 8oz but brought it back up to 1lb. It is my absolute favorite rifle. No feeding issues I have expirienced or ever read about. Mine is the American and came with rings. Craftsmanship is second to none and so far after only 30 rounds down the barrel with cheap Privi ammo I am at 1-1/2" groups at 100yds. I expect it to get down to well under 1" when I develop a load for it. You cant go wrong with a CZ, if you can find one.

Why .204? (Just curious)

Originally I was leaning toward .223, so that I could share ammo with my AR. I wanted something to shoot medium range targets and varmits with, that also wouldn't punish me at the bench. However with the current state of things, and .223 ammo hard to get. I was looking at other calibers. The .204 ammo is not cheap, but it is available.The .204 seems to be an accurate round with factory ammo, and since I don't reload that is a plus.

I was able to actually handle a model 25 today. It did not seem as cheaply built, as some on internet have said. However it is not as nice as the 527 I handled earlier this month. I can get the Savage locally, but the CZ will most likely come via the internet. So with the cost difference only being around $85, the CZ will most likely win out. That is provided that it is still instock at the current price, once I have saved up the required funds.

Originally I was leaning toward .223, so that I could share ammo with my AR. I wanted something to shoot medium range targets and varmits with, that also wouldn't punish me at the bench. However with the current state of things, and .223 ammo hard to get. I was looking at other calibers. The .204 ammo is not cheap, but it is available.The .204 seems to be an accurate round with factory ammo, and since I don't reload that is a plus.

.204 is a great little round but it is also kind of a "one trick pony" where as .223 has a much wider range of bullet weights to choose from, even moreso since you don't reload and are limited to just factory ammunition in either .204 or .223

Availibility of 5.56/.223 is a bit shy right now, but it is literally made by every ammunition company on the planet, so once all of this crazy buying frenzy stuff ends you should have no problems finding plenty of it to feed your rifle.

Anyway man keep us posted on what route you decide to go, I'm looking forward to reading your range report.

Just when I thougt I had narrowed my choices down, the Savage 10XP has caught my eye. Plus it throughs another catridge in the mix, 22-250. Too many choices, so little time. Thanks to all those that have replied.

Maybe this will help make up your mind. Here is picture of my 527 22 Hornet with 12x42AO Fixed Sightron. Got it from KyGunCo, they seem to have the cheapest prices on the 527's that I found. BTW they are showing both an American in 223 and 204 in stock.

Beautiful rifle pcrc11! I am trying not to jump all over the 527 Varmint in .204 at the Ky Gun Co. What rings are you using ? The varmint doesn't come with rings, and I am thinking Warne rings. I am 90% sure the CZ is the gun for me.

Beautiful rifle pcrc11! I am trying not to jump all over the 527 Varmint in .204 at the Ky Gun Co. What rings are you using ? The varmint doesn't come with rings, and I am thinking Warne rings. I am 90% sure the CZ is the gun for me.

Mine is the American and comes with rings. I see you are in Knoxville and If you want to meet me sometime and shoot it that 90% feeling you have will turn into 100%. The set trigger can be set down to well under a 1lb for target shooting. That alone will sell you on it if the quality aint enough.

CZ 527, I have one in .221 Fireball, one of my favorite rifles I own. Had a .204 527, but sold it after realizing the Fireball was my goto varmint gun and I love loading for it. One thing the .204 will do over the Fireball, Hornet or .223, and that's BLOW stuff up when it hits. I went on a pairie dog hunt in Wy. a few years back. We used a .22 Hornet, a .221, a .223, and the .204. It was a big difference when that .204 hit!

pcrc11 - How did you post that photo of your 527?

• 2 weeks later...

I took a field trip to Lexington,KY today in order to visit the Bud's retail store. I was able to actually handle a Savage Walking Varminter, no one around Knoxville seemed to have one. I liked the 25wv much better than the standard 25 that I saw at Dick's. I may actually end up with this rifle as it fits within my budget much easier. Now the waiting game begins until my bonus arrives in March.

• 1 month later...
Guest CZ2075

I want to thank those that offered their advise to me, I went a little different way and bought a Mossberg MVP 5.56. RichardR was correct and the .223 offered loads of options from the factorys. Hopefully I will be able to post my impressions of the rifle soon, but it needs some glass first.