CC in AL,FL, & GA

Guest jth_3s

Guest jth_3s

Going deep sea fishing this weekend and will be in three states. Am I going to have any problems carrying in Alabama Georgia or Florida? My major concern was Alabama Ive been told they dont honor our HCPs

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362
What is the difference in Non reciprical but will honor and reciprical?

I think the reciprical states are ones with same or very similar carry permit requirements. The list is close to or same for the difference in new applicants and transfers for handgun permits.

When I moved from Alabama to Tennessee, I was considered a new applicant here, even though I had an Alabama permit. Alabama is issued through county sheriff and has no class or range qualification.

Arkansas on the other hand, has a similar program to TN so you are treated as a renewal here.

Guest bkelm18

Simply, reciprocal means that each state honors each others permit. For example, TN has reciprocity with VA, therefor TN honors VA's permit and VA honors TN's permit. Non reciprocal, but will honor means, that state will honor TN's permit, but TN does not honor that state's permit. Reciprocity is just an agreement between the states as to whether or not they will honor each other's permits.

.... Non reciprocal, but will honor means, that state will honor TN's permit, but TN does not honor that state's permit. ....

Nope, sorry, not correct at all.

Any number of states do NOT have reciprocity with TN but honors TN permits AND TN honors theirs:

Alabama

Colorado

Delaware

Indiana

(many more)

Incidentally, TN honors a few states' permits whose states do NOT honor Tennessee's in return.

-OS

Edited by OhShoot

Reciprocity means each state has a written agreement that specifically states they will honor each others permits.

You can see actual copies of the agreements that TN has with other states here.

TN now honors ALL facially valid permits from any state. Many other states do as well, with that there is no real need for a written agreement.

Many states that do not honor all permits have in recent years stopped requiring reciprocity to honor another states permit. They simply make a list of states whose permit they will honor.

A lot of this came about when carry was new and before state laws addressed out of state permits, now most state laws address out of state permits and specific agreements are not needed.

Edited by Fallguy
Guest bkelm18
Nope, sorry, not correct at all.

Any number of states do NOT have reciprocity with TN but honors TN permits AND TN honors theirs:

Alabama

Colorado

Delaware

Indiana

(many more)

Incidentally, TN honors a few states' permits whose states do NOT honor Tennessee's in return.

-OS

Well, at least you were nice about it. :lol: Thanks for the correction anyway.

Guest Hunter

I lived in FL for 15 years, DO NOT print there as the New Yorkers and northerners have been going crazy about carrying in FL and call the cops if you print.

Guest abailey362

TN just recently started honoring all, or every LEO I asked was wrong. When I had my Alabama permit, they said it wasn't technically honored here....guess that's changed now.

TN just recently started honoring all, or every LEO I asked was wrong. When I had my Alabama permit, they said it wasn't technically honored here....guess that's changed now.

Since new laws usually go into effect July 1, it has been at least a year, if not longer. Can't remember right now exactly when they started doing it this way.

Guest ProguninTN
Since new laws usually go into effect July 1, it has been at least a year, if not longer. Can't remember right now exactly when they started doing it this way.

I believe it was around 2003. TN honoring all states is a few years old. Any officer who says AL permits aren't valid in TN is in need of a law update course.

The reason for the now-obsolete non-recognition between TN & AL was inconsistent laws. TN previously only recognized states with similar requirements...(safety class, background checks, range qualification), AL is and still is on the "back scratch system"... We'll honor yours only if you honor ours. Hence, why AL and TN previously did not honor each other's permits. Now the TN honors all permits, the issue is moot. Although it should be noted, TN honors states like MA and CA, but they don't honor TN. :shrug:

Guest ProguninTN
Remember that alabama (don't know about the others) is a concealed carry only state so make sure that you don't OC and that when you are CC that it stays covered up.

Actually, AL has case law including Looney v. State, and Morris v. State, in which the courts determined that open carry is not statutorily prohibited. There is also an AG Opinion citing these cases among others stating OC is legal. The problem is that LE in AL is either oblivious to, or is deliberately ignoring the court rulings. Also, Sheriffs threaten permit revocation for open carry despite the opinions of the court which state oc is legal even without a permit. Hence, AL is a concealed only state de facto and not de jure.

Guest 270win

It is illegal to CONCEAL a handgun on your person in Alabama while walking in public OR having a handgun period in your car without a AL concealed pistol license or a license/permit that AL honors. You can open or conceal carry with a TN handgun carry permit in AL. You can openly carry a handgun on foot without a TN handgun carry permit. The trick is getting in a car with a handgun and not having a license...that is where you can get in trouble.

AL is pretty nice though because you can carry virtually anywhere, schools, bars, restaurants, wherever you like. If you are down at Auburn or Univ of Alabama for a football game, there isn't a single law to keep you from carrying inside the stadium. There are no gun free signs that mean anything. The worst that can happen at a football game, if you have a TN permit, is being asked to leave.