Romanian AK-47 Kit Riveting Help Needed in Murfreesboro

I have a Romanian "Romy G" kit that I have ready for the front and rear trunion rivets to be installed. I'm picky about the heads appearing like factory installed rivets. I could have smashed these long ago, just to make the gun operational, but I want the gun to look good... if that's possible with an AK!

I'm hoping there is someone in the local Murfreesboro area that has done at least one of these, that can help/advise me on how to do the job properly, without the end result looking like someone smashed them with a ball peen hammer. OK, I'm picky... but I'm not anal. I just want my AK to look as original as possible. The receiver is a serialized NDS-3...all holes are drilled, and all rivets slide in properly. Actually, I'm most concerned about proper installation on the forward trunion, as the aft trunion is pretty simple. I'm concerned about getting a good solid rivet, with the bucktail clearing the barrel chamber, and no marks on the factory head. I have two sets of rivets, from two different suppliers.

I do have some tools, including a hydraulic press. I don't expect charity, so please let me know about your experience in installing these particular rivets, and what you'd charge me to help me install the six (6) forward trunnion rivets. Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang, your about 3 weeks too late. I had a rivet masher for front trunion rivets you could have borrowed for free. Unfortunately I sold all my ak tools.

The bolt cutter type tool works good and creates a factory look. You might be able to pick a used one up on the ak files, use it then resell, but that's a lot of work for one gun.

You will proly also want a jig of some sort for the middle and rear to make sure the trunion is nice and tight.