Modifying Heavy Trigger Pull on S&W 9VE Allied Forces

Guest justaman30

Guest justaman30

I own and carry a Smith & Wesson Sigma 9VE Allied Forces model handgun. The gun is double-action only with hidden hammer, which is its primary form of safety. I would like to lessen the amount of trigger pull necessary. Has anyone done this before? What is required? It currently breaks at about 10 pounds.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 270win

Check with some gun websites and gunstores or even Smith and Wesson to see if you can get a new trigger connector/spring to reduce the weight. I have a Glock 19 9mm and it is a matter of changing out the trigger connector spring to increase or decrease the weight from the standard Glock 5.5lbs. The S&W Sigma has many of the same features as the Glock, inside and out. The takedown to clean the Sigma is the same as the Glock.

Guest justaman30

Smith & Wesson does not show different springs for this model handgun in the parts list online, only the original. Any suggestions for other gun sites that may have such a thing?

How many rounds have you put through the pistol?

Mine has lightened considerably since I first bought it. My only complaint about the Sigma is the relatively long reset on the trigger. But with practice that has been adapted to.

Guest justaman30

The pistol has had 650 rounds through it to date. I have noticed no lessening of the pressure to date, but this may not be enough rounds.

I am not sure what round count I was on when I noticed the trigger being easier to pull. Heck for all I know it is the same and I have just gotten used to it. The pull really is not an issue anymore. for me.

Mine has at least 2000 rounds through it and I am very familiar with where the trigger makes it go bang. And that may be why it seems easier to pull.

Wolff offers a reduced power striker spring: http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/SmithWessonNF.html#Sigma4

That's really the only way to improve the pull much, since it's a DAO. You might be able to polish up the sear engagement a bit to make it smoother... but pretty much you'll just have to live with a heavy trigger as long as you keep that gun.

Guest justaman30

Thanks for the site and information Molonlabetn! I spoke with our local Gander MTn. store gunsmith and he says that S&W will eventually offer a factory spring pack for it, but they don't now. I will definitely visit the site and look into this. Thanks!!

Guest justaman30
Wolff offers a reduced power striker spring: http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/SmithWessonNF.html#Sigma4

That's really the only way to improve the pull much, since it's a DAO. You might be able to polish up the sear engagement a bit to make it smoother... but pretty much you'll just have to live with a heavy trigger as long as you keep that gun.

OK Molonlabetn, I have ordered a pack of 3 springs from the site you recommended. After they get here and I install them (if I can without a gunsmith) I will pull a field test and post the results. This may help Sigma owners alot. Thanks again for the great referral. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest RISC777

I went a different route on my 40VE than replacement springs. Perhaps not a great recommendation per warranty considerations, but it was a work-able option for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you by experience that replacing the firing pin spring is not the best option. I have done trigger jobs on several s&w 9mm and 40s. There is an extra spring that needs to be removed and a few parts that need to be polished. You can get the trigger pull down to about 4 pounds after doing this. The trigger was made extra strong after Glock sued them. This gun was intended to be a cc gun.

:dirty: When you change the firing pin spring you increase the risk of a jam. What good is a jammed gun when you’re DEAD? Don't play runlet with your life. That firing pin spring matches the gun perfectly. Look at the M&P and glock. Compare what the differences are. The big difference in the S&W VE's is the extra spring. The parts on the inside were tumbled and not polished like the parts in the M&P and other guns with lighter trigger pulls.

I can tell you by experience that replacing the firing pin spring is not the best option......

I agree. I had too many FTFs with the Wolff spring. In fact I think that Wolff even warns that FTFs can happen with the reduced power.

I took the Wolff spring out and used this DIY on the S&W Forum and it worked well for me. With this mod the Sigma's trigger feels more like a double action only revolver.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums?s=884106832&a=tpc&m=1031000282&f=580103904

Its a shame that the stock Sigma has such a heavy trigger because I find that the firearm itself handles so much better than a Glock.

Guest justaman30

I have had no problems after changing the spring in my Sigma to a Wolff spring, after about 400 rounds now. But I appreciate the advice and plan to look into the links above and give their process a try. Thanks!!