It's a sickness....I tell ya.

I love C&R projects.  But......I can get a bit carried away at times.   Once I get into a project, I tend to go well beyond my "original" plan.  I purchased a Mosin carbine about ten years ago and got this wild hair to turn it into the ultimate, lightweight field rifle.  Or, as some here have correctly hinted....money down a rabbit hole (that I'll never see again).

The finished product is here:

NagantSporter_zps1a120572.jpg

The original plan was to simply figure out a scope mount.  So, I drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope rail and mounted a Sightron scope.  Hmmmmmmm....then I had the bolt handle custom bent and I lapped the bolt.  Oops...that bayonet mount has to go....so I removed about 3" of barrel, crowned the barrel and then made a muzzle brake for it using some brass bar stock and my lathe.  Still screwing around....next came the custom "ball bearing" trigger and custom composite stock.  However, after installing the composite stock, I was not at all happy with the way it fit.  Soooooo, I sold the new composite stock (at a loss, naturally) and I cut and reworked the standard stock, bedding the action for a nice fit.   After all of that, I decided to DuraCoat the entire rifle.  I fired it a few times to sight it in and then it became a safe queen.  I just sold it last year.

It must be a sickness within me.  I just can't leave stuff alone.  I have to tweek it here and there and try to make it prettier, more reliable and more accurate.  For me, that's the fun part about the C&R license.  I think the original Mosin cost me about $60.00 and I would be ashamed to tell you what I put into it.  

Edited by surfcityred

I share your pain, but this is my perception on it. Do you really need it? Probably not. Does it make you happy? Absolutely! Thats the important thing. Something you love, and occupies your time. Yeah, I don't don't want to discuss the money part, because I have spent more than I care to know on firearms, but in the end, its my hobby and it makes me happy to have things to mess with. My latest project is a Saiga 12 sporter, I know it will cost me to do what I want with it, but its my new "toy" and we all need toys no matter what your age is.

• Like 1

I to am a compulsive tinkerer, have a shop with lathe and sometimes it just needs to be used. Just installed a timney trigger onto my laminated 91/30 with scout scope, lots of wood work to make it fit,  polished bolt assembly, bedded ??, etc. much more invested than its worth but have fun and it keeps me out of the bars. It does drive me to drink sometimes but I do it at home. Also do a lot of trigger work on the Mosins and have one of my M44s down to 3.5 lbs pull. 

Well, I knew I was not alone here.  It is a blast and I love working with my hands and creating something that I can hold up, shoot and appreciate.  Guns have a natural beauty of their own.  The design and engineering is something that I can never get enough of.  I will tinker till I die.... :usa:

I had a Mauser problem once.  It took an active intervention by my wife and friends to get me off the brand.  It started out innocent enough with a few minor tweeks but then,,,,,,I dove into the hard stuff.  Yeah....I admit it....I did.  Re-barreling, re-stocking, custom this and custom that....Mausermania had a hold on me and now I am a reformed Mausermaniac.  I only own one now and I am staying away from the hard stuff.   Although the allure is strong.  Oh, the calibers, the accuracy, the beauty that captivates me.  I.....must......not....think.....about.....them.........(I am retired now and I can't afford to think about them......LOL).   

I found two Finns in 2 different pawn shops in Clinton...both bubbaed.  hex receivers...one scoped.. both cut down barrels and altered stocks.  199 for the scoped one on the east side and 119 for the one on the west side.  checked the date on the receiver on the west side one. 1919.  They wouldn't let me look at the other.

Edited by bajabuc