ak/ar build experiences

fizik

i'm debating getting another subcompact carry gun (looking at the kel-tec pf-9) or going for a rifle, one of the 'evil assault killer guns', a SHTF gun. the last couple weeks i've been thinking that, considering our potential political situation, i should opt for what's most likely to go up in price or down in availability sooner. i'm thinking that would be something like an ak47 or an ar-15. i really would like one of the higher end ar or m4 clones with all the extras; unfortunately i'm limited to about 600 bucks right now.

the way i see it, i could wait and get a nice ar, i could buy an ak now, or i could build one and maybe get the handgun too. i'm also thinking the build process would be interesting and rewarding. i've found several sites dedicated to builds for ak47s and on for the ar15, but nothing that gives me all the info i need in one place. anyone have experience in this area, or advice on the better choice here?

Edited by fizik
clarification
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

building an AK is not very cost effective. The set up will cost a lot for one rifle. I say get an AK or two now and build the AR as time and money permits. The reason is that if the AWB comes back the first to go will be AK's (they are the most evil, of course). Kits will dry up and since most of the parts come from overseas, importation will slow/stop and prices will get insanely high. Most AR's are made here and parts will be more readily available.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

As stated, depending on what type of AR you build, it wouldn't necessarily be much more than the AK in the end. That's just comparing the two rifles from a price point perspective. There are other, larger cans of worms at play when considering the two platforms. :D

If you really want an AK, I'd buy a Saiga and convert it. You'll have a factory-built gun that's only been jacked with by you.

If I was building an AR, I'd be looking at some of the kits from Del-Ton or something from evil-black-rifles.com.

Guest Verbal Kint
The reason is that if the AWB comes back the first to go will be AK's (they are the most evil, of course). Kits will dry up and since most of the parts come from overseas, importation will slow/stop and prices will get insanely high. Most AR's are made here and parts will be more readily available.

That would be true if they were trying to pass the AWB that we had before. However, this new AWB clearly attacks every "assault weapon", both foreign and domestic. The AR and AK would both immediately face the chopping block, along with dozens of other platforms. With this proposed ruling there no longer is one worse than the other, they'll all become prohibited the moment (should) that garbage pass. The only saving grace is the grandfather clause.

That would be true if they were trying to pass the AWB that we had before. However, this new AWB clearly attacks every "assault weapon", both foreign and domestic. The AR and AK would both immediately face the chopping block, along with dozens of other platforms. With this proposed ruling there no longer is one worse than the other, they'll all become prohibited the moment (should) that garbage pass. The only saving grace is the grandfather clause.

true, but i was referring to availability which would speak to cost down the road.

Anyone recommend specific AR uppers/lowers?

I recommend a search!:P

Guest tnmale46
Well, since I had a good experience, I'll recommend Del-Ton rifle kits. Basically it includes everything you need minus the stripped lower.
agreed
Guest tngunman
Anyone recommend specific AR uppers/lowers?

I like Colt, I recommend sticking with a Colt barrel and bolt at the minimum. From there, Colt upper receiver, carrier, trigger parts, in this order. Most lowers are fine except Olympic.

awesome. i'm now leaning toward buying an ak now, since i just bought another pistol, then saving some cash and getting a nicer ar in a couple months. so....any recommendations on AKs? i ran across a guy in clarksville that builds and sells them, if i can remember the site it seemed reasonable.