Be careful what you ask for because promotions can be frustrating.

mav

About a month ago I took a promotion to VP of Chemical Processes, which puts me directly responsible for every facet of our business minus sales (thank goodness).  It is nice having the authority to implement change that you know will be effective.   However, it sure is frustrating, and at times overwhelming.  I come home almost everyday feeling like someone kicked the crap out of me, and it makes me laugh whenever I hear people make comments about cushy management jobs.

Edited by mav

If you ever havent you should try running your own small business. I own an independent mechanic shop where I reside. I cant tell you the number of times someone tells me it must be nice making all that money.

No thanks.  Yes, there is greater financial reward with owning your own business, but I don't have the risk tolerance nor the money to get into the industry I have spent most of my working life in.

Guest RedLights&Sirens
Congradulations.

Managment is no joke. My marraige had its share of issues because of her hard working hours managing a couple of clothing stores. After she got her CNA and became a supervisor of a independant living facility it got tougher, although it was nice that she could finaly understand my frustrations working in healthcare.

I never got to a "brass" position but as an engineer in my hometown fire department and ambulance not only was I maintaining equipment and inventory but for some reason doing a Leutenants job as well. Plenty of people came to me with problems for the higher ups, I guess I just have one of thoes freindly faces. By the time I was offered a promotion to leutenant I respectfully declined as I had enough with the drama.

My last job offered me a promotion as a hospital liason and after I jumped through all the hoops for it the manager who offered it to me said nevermind. I kind of gave up on climbing the ladder.

Congrats on the promotion.  While I'd sure like to get our VP's paycheck, I've no interest in dealing with all the nonsense he deals with daily.  Management in even a mid sized company these days can be an exercise in futility.  I don't think I have the patience or tolerance for stupid people necessary to deal with it.

No thanks.  Yes, there is greater financial reward with owning your own business, but I don't have the risk tolerance nor the money to get into the industry I have spent most of my working life in.

That is true about some perks of owning your own business but majority of people think your suddenly Donald Trump and your bank account is at the Federal Reserve

I used to always say I wanted a salary job when I worked hourly. 10 years ago I worked for a company that promoted me to supervisor and put me on salary. My pay went down and I ended up working an extra 20+ hours a week. And the extra work load as well as responsiblity was just an added kick in the nuts. I always thought my supervisor, prior to me getting promoted, was joking when he said I made more than him.

Guest 6.8 AR

i would have liked to have driven a train like you mark. now thats being in charge

I wish I still could do that. That was fun. But that truck of yours is okay for "short hauls". :D