Range report, NIB, XD 45 ACP

Guest tarheel78

Guest tarheel78

FWIW, I took delivery yesterday from Phantom6 of a new XD 45ACP, bi-tone, 4" Service, w/factory Trijicons. Couldn't wait to try it out on the range, and today got that accomplished, with a few observations below.

Pros: Perfect out of the box, all paperwork, mini-holster, X2 mag holder etc. Well-lubed and ready to go. Absolutely no range issues, no FTFs, no FTEs, handled all rounds, brands, without issues. Most impressive aspect was the extremely mild recoil, much better than a Glock .40, even a little better than the Glock 30 (.45), already mild. Comfortable ergonomics, easy to handle, fire, reload quickly. Quick and easy cleanup. :hat:

Cons: None really, but was a little concerned re how dim the factory Trijicons seemed to be, more so than other Trij's I used in the past on other brands. Maybe someone can comment on this from past experience? :D

The mild recoil is due to a well-engineered double-coiled rebound spring (like the Glock .45s), but Springfield nailed this one, it really works. Easy on the hand slow fire, fast fire, short or long range time. No fatigue at all.

Initial accuracy was basically a little at 8 'oclock from both 15 and 25, easily corrected once you seen patterns developed for your grip style, etc. It handled both Speer 230 gr FMJ well, then switched over to some Wolf (no hissing, done on purpose to test its functionality) 230 gr FMJ. It handled both equally well. No difference except for that funny Wolf odor after each shot, like you notice with the .223 rounds. No FTEs, no burps of any kind.

I was a long-time Glock user and tried this purchase just to see if all the good comments on this board and others panned out for me. It did. I am a believer at this point.

Phantom6 answered all my questions and did not try to steer me to a specific model, etc, but had some good insight re this model line. The special order arrived on only 2 days or so.

At cleanup, I liked and really recommend the bi-tone/stailness slide; it makes finding specs of dirt easy to see, clean and lube up. Reassembled it in about 8-10 seconds, another strong point.

All in all, I feel good about this purchase and look forward to hitting the range again with it. Hope someone will put my mind at ease about the faint Trijicons, just an observation at this point, not a complaint.

HTH, Norman

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint
Hope someone will put my mind at ease about the faint Trijicons, just an observation at this point, not a complaint.

First, grats on the new purchase! :hat:

In regards to the sights, it almost sounds like they're an old batch of tritium... as they get dimmer as they decay and their radioactive half-life progresses. But you said it was a new gun, which would go against that reasoning. Weirder things have happened though, so who knows.

Might be worth a phone call to SA, just to address your concerns and see what they say. You can also find out the date of most tritium sights, based on what is stamped / written on them.

FWIW, I just stuck a set of green/yellow Ameriglos on my Glock 23 that I recently purchased. Very bright, very effective. Might be another option for you, down the road, if you choose to replace the one's currently installed on your XD.

Either way... enjoy the new toy!

Guest Todd@CIS

The XD45 Service is my issue duty gun.

When we took delivery of them, my Trijicon front sight was completely dead and the gun shot about 1' low at 25 yards with 230gr ammo.

SA sent me a new front sight (different height as well) and now it glows and the elevation is perfect.

Sounds like you had a good day at the range. About 20 min after I sent you that message and told my family I was staying home I looked at the weather radar - "Crap - I bet he goes anyway."

Congrats on the new gun. Can't wait to see it.

Guest Phantom6

Glad that you are pleased with your selection Tarheel. That pistol will allow an accomplished shooter like yourself to move your shooting to a new level. That Bi-tone is sexy for sure. The cleaning aspect of the bi-tone slide is something I never even considered. Thanks for bring that up. I'll pass it along to the next customers that come in inquiring. We appreciate your business and are standing by to be of assistance in the future.

Guest Phantom6

Sure. I have shot a lot of pistols in the last 40 years and I have to say that the Springfield XD allows me to shoot better than any other that I have ever shot. The grip angle for one, seems to give me a more natural point of the gun which is in tune with my body's natural point of aim as I extend my arm and wrist to the target. Now, that is my experience with the XD but it has also been the experience of others that are more accomplished shooters than I. Tarheel78 is an accomplished shooter and is a student of not only ballistics but of the necessarily close relationship between the shooter and the firearm. Don't get me wrong. I don't think the XD is for everybody but because of the construction of the XD I think it may allow him to shoot better than he already does. He did a lot of research prior to coming to me. I just clarified some things for him and then did a little trading that turned out to be a good deal for both of us. From his initial range report it sounds like that with a little more trigger time and maybe some minor adjustment he may have found a new favorite pistol.

Phantom6 your posts in this thread are once again proof that you are the best FFL to deal with in the Knoxville area and dare I say in all of Tennessee. Always going over and above the call of duty to satisfy the customer.

PS: we missed you at the shoot, hope the shotgun class went well

Guest Phantom6

Thanks for the plug.

Sorry I had to miss the shoot Saturday but duty called. :) The shotgun class went well. We got a little wet but more than that it was just steamy. Hats off to Greenego for taking the Last Man Standing challenge. :D I believe everyone learned a lot and I know that they all shot well. Ron was just a bit faster on the reloads and the trigger than the others.