Question for Dolomite

Guest USMC 2013

Guest USMC 2013

I need a new hunting rifle and am pretty set on a Savage.  I've read a few posts on here that led me to believe you know your way around their rifles.

So, this is what I want it for and what I think I want.  I need a .308 that I can drag around the hills out west.  Weight is an issue, but I'm not a wuss.  No bull barrel, but lightweight model not required either.  I am wh%^& for accuracy so I need an accurrate rifle, I like Savages.  I am a former Marine and like to use my sling when shooting.  That being said, I am leaning towards a wood stock.  Both for looks and so the tension from the sling does not pull the stock and make the stock touch the barrel.

I am not a gunsmith, have never even done minor projects so I am leaning towards a model 14.  Budget is $700 for the rifle, I already have some optics for it. 

What are your thoughts?  Do you know a reputable builder around TN or KY?  I love Savage actions and the accu-trigger.  I am not against a factory rifle but am open to any reasonable suggestions.  Thanks,

Joe

P.S.  Of course anyone else can chime in as well.  Thanks in advance for all the input.

Guest Aces&8s

Just my 2 cents, but I do not think you can go wrong with the Savage.  I have a standard profile barrel Accutrigger model in .30-'06, and it is a heck of a rifle, capable of far better accuracy than I am.  Mine is the old style without the removable magazine, and it has the black polymer stock, of which I am not a fan.  In fact, that is really the only thing I would change, is to swap the stock out for some nice wood furniture.

Also, the Savage will fit nicely within your allotted budget...  a custom rig is probably going to be pricey these days.

Worst thread title ever...It just made me want to   :puke:

But back on topic: As far as my opinion on the rifle I am stumped.  I have always chosen a Remington over the savages and when i decided to spend even more I had MidTN Gunsmithing build me a custom rifle which would be way over your budget (my stock with bottom metal was over that budget).  My advice is to get the 700 AAC-SD.  It's threaded and its a perfect weight/length.  you can always upgrade it down the line with a cooler more tactical stock or trigger or whatever fancies you as mentioned by another person in this thread http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/64526-remi-700-aac-sd-build/

BTW the Remington 700 AAC-SD can be had for right at your budget and even less if you shop wisely.  Good luck!

Edited by alwaysonjohn

I have 3 savages 2 short action 1 long action.A remington 700 long action. And a ruger mark II in short action. I have had all actions apart. Here is how I rank.

1.Ruger

2.Savage

3.Remington

You cannot beat the savage action for the price point. Period!

Out of the box a Savage is going to be as accurate, maybe a little more depending on the individual rifle, than most Remingtons with factory ammo. If you reload you can easily get them to shoot better than a factory Remington. Savage has a strong reputation for accuracy and there is a reason for it. I have had factory Savage barrels that would shoot sub .4" groups at 100 yards using handloads. Handloading is the key to squeezing the most out of a Savage but even with factory ammunition it will definitely fit the needs of any hunter out there.

Remingtons are good if you don't plan on swapping calibers or barrels but with Savages you can do that as well. If you do swap barrels on a Remington it will cost a lot of gunsmith time to do it. Remington take off barrels rarely headspace correctly and to fix that is lathe time and that costs money.

WIth a Savage you can buy a spare bolt head in another caliber for ~$25. And you can swap the barrel at home in no time. Factory barrels can be had for $125-$200 depending on profile and length. So for ~$150 you can have everything to swap to another caliber with a Savage. With most other rifles you are talking about $300+ to do the same and that is if yours stay within the same rim diameter. If you want to change rim diameters add another $150 if you can get one at all with Remington.

Setting headspace on a Savage does not require the use of headspace gauges. It can be done easily without any special tools.

I take my Savage to a gunsmith the first time I loosen the barrel nut because they are on the TIGHT. They generally charge next to nothing to break the barrel nut loose. After that everything else can be done at home with hand tools. The barrel nut doesn't need to be tightened by some gorilla on steroids either. All it needs is to be snug. I set my headspace, tighten the barrel nut to lock it in place. Then I used to use a hammer and punch to turn the nut to lock it in place. I normally give it one whack and call it good. I have yet to have a barrel come loose. I recently picked up a dedicated wrench and it makes life a little easier with certain barrel nuts.

Aftermarket support for Savage is as good as any other maker now. You can buy quality aftermarket stocks, aftermarket triggers, mounts and even drop in match quality barrels for Savage. The cost for a drop in match barrel for a Savage is less than having a barrel fitted to other brands in most cases.

In the end if changing calibers is not in your future any rifle will work, including a Savage.

Personally I would look on the used gun market for a Savage with a round back receiver. These are newer actions and they tend to be more square from what I have been told by several big name builders. You can generally find a used Savage for around $250-$300. If you are lucky you can find on in the caliber you want. And if you decide you want to upgrade the barrel there are drop in match barrels avalable for under $300. Shilen, McGowen, PacNor, ER Shaw as well as a few others I cannot remember all make drop in barrels for a Savage.

There is no reason not to own a Savage. Savage. Is a privately owned company with guns made here in the US.

Remington, on the other hand, is not a privately owned company. It is owned by Freedom Group which is in turn owned by Cerebus and they are involved in more than just firearms. They also had some of their US companies start selling Chinese guns.

The only downside to owning a Savage, if there is one, is the Remington guys tend to give Savage owners grief.

• Like 4
I would look at a Savage 10PC (precision carbine)in 308, the accustock will let you use your sling. The heavy contour barrel is still much lighter than the remington barrel and overall weighs right at 8lbs. Unlike the remington the accustock and accutrigger will pass for precision work right out of the box (SPS stock is a hot pile of garbage and the xmark trigger is close behind).

I still think if I was going to heavily customize a rifle I would go with a remington action, out of the box the 10PC shoots better than pretty much anything I have ever pulled the trigger on (I have it in .223 and .308 now...)
  • Like 1

I like my 30 year old 700. I feel they were better made than now. But my best friends Savage (.308) with the accu-trigger is nice. I know enough to tell you to stay away from the Savage Axis. I do see a lot of used Savages at what seems good prices this time of year. I might just pick one up to see for my self personally.

Over the years it seems I have sold off most of my American Company made hunting rifles in favor of Sako, CZ and the odd Parker Hale or Weatherby.

Edited by R1100R

I would look at a Savage 10PC (precision carbine)in 308, the accustock will let you use your sling. The heavy contour barrel is still much lighter than the remington barrel and overall weighs right at 8lbs. Unlike the remington the accustock and accutrigger will pass for precision work right out of the box (SPS stock is a hot pile of garbage and the xmark trigger is close behind).

I still think if I was going to heavily customize a rifle I would go with a remington action, out of the box the 10PC shoots better than pretty much anything I have ever pulled the trigger on (I have it in .223 and .308 now...)

It is cheaper to fully customize a Savage.

Tthe stocks are going to cost the same and even AI stocks are now available for Savages. That used to be the answer that Remington guys used to use as to why Remingtons were better but not anymore. Anyone who is making a stock for s Remington is also making a stock for a Savage, including AI.

Triggers are going to be similar in cost . Whether you keep the Accutrigger, which is better than any factory Remington trigger, or you upgrade the costs are similar with a Savage. The best drop in trigger for a Savage is the Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger which runs $110 from Brownells. It is a completely different design than the Timney trigger or Rfile Basix or factory trigger. The SSS Competition trigger is a three lever design that results in a very nice trigger that is both reliable and consistent. It is also comparable to any "match" trigger available for any Remington.

The rings and bases are going to cost the same. And any maker who is making rings and bases for a Remington is also making them for a Savage.

So where is the cost saving with a Savage?

Bolt handles are easily replaceable and CHEAP for the Savage. A tactical bolt handle, complete and ready to go on the bolt, costs under $40 for a Savage. Most places charge $100+ to put a different bolt handle on a Remington bolt. I have seen several Remington replacement bolt handles fall off because the weld or sodler wasn't good enough. It is impossible for a Savage bolt handle to fall off.

Depending on the model there are also large capacity magazines available that work with the factory Savage. No need for special bottom metal. And bottom metal is available for Savage to use AI and other brands of magazines.

The fitting of barrels is cheaper with a Savage. The last barrel I had done by a smith, which was last month, cost me $160. That was taken from a barrel blank to ready to go into a Savage action. And because I do not need a smith to install the barrel that saves money. Every Remington I have seen the barrel replaced on costs $300 when starting with a blank.

If you want to take a gun from 223 to 308 with a Savage it is a $25 bolt head and a $150 barrel. With a Remington you cannot swap bolt heads and requires you to buy a complete bolt that costs $150+. Then the Remington bolt must be fitted tot he action. Savage requires no fitting of the bolt. So a Savage can have a different caliber for $175 and to do the same with a Remington would cost $450+.

The biggest reason I think Savage is better than Remington is because Remington has acknowledged it by building guns (783) with barrel nuts and swappable bolt heads which is identical to how Savage has been doing it for decades. They have also added their version of an Accutrigger.

Probably the only reason I would build a custom off of a 700 action is for resale when I am done with it, custom savage's for some reason dont hold resale very well at least not like the remington action ones (of course there is a bigger initial investment also with the rem to offset that).

Honestly I have always been a Remington man and my safe still holds no fewer than 7, I will say though when I go to get my next rifle (another 260 Rem) it will be a Savage.   The Savage 10PC completely changed my opinion on bolt guns lol.

I could have easily been a Remington guy. When I went to buy my first bolt gun I called a friend who worked at a gun shop. I asked which is the most accurate out of the box gun, Remington or Savage. They said that Savage seems to shoot better so I bought a Savage.

I currently have 4 Savages. A 45 ACP, a 223, a left hand that will be for my son and my Striker. All of them, except the 45, are in a perpetual state of caliber swaps. I am going to settle into a 300 Blackout and a 223 for the lion's share of shooting duties.

I am strongly considering changing out the barrel on my 223 10PC to a 260 rem the only thing holding me back is the action and barrel are cerakoted OD green and I hate to lose that investment (well and I hate to break up a combo that is shooting sub .5 MOA lol.

I have a Model 14 American Classic Savage, and I've only shot it a couple of times, I believe it will produce good accuracy with a bit of load development.

[url=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_1898.jpg.html]IMG_1898.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_1899.jpg.html]IMG_1899.jpg[/URL]

These were my first two load attempts just pulled out of the air. I think it's prettier than the run of the mill Savage too. Mine is chambered in 250-3000, but I would expect good accuracy from a 308 as well.

Edited by gregintenn