Permit qualification question

Does anyone know what the shooting distances are that are required to get your TN HCP. I took my class last year at G&L but I don't recall the exact distances. It seems like we shot 24 @ 3 yrds, 12 @ 7 yrds and I can't recall what the 3rd distance was.

I have a cousin that is considering getting his permit but he hasn't been shooting for long and wants to go practice some more at the correct distance. I told him to practice the longest distance because if he can hit that he can surely hit the closer ones.

He has just bought a Sig P229 Elite 40 cal and a S&W 686. He shoots better with the Sig so if he shoots with it will he have to decock it before each shot?

Any other advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA

I did my class last Monday. We did 12 from 9 ft, 12 from 21 ft, 12 from 45 ft, and then the remaining 14 from 9 ft. The target area was pretty big. There were people in the class who seemed like they'd never held a gun before that score 92. I scored a 99, my one shot slightly outside the target area happened only because I got bored and started shooting too fast. And I've only been shooting for maybe 4 months now. Should be no issue.

You don't have to decock. When I took my class (also at G&L) you had to shoot DA/SA revolvers DA. Said it was mandated by the state. Semi-autos did not have to be shot DA.

Thanks.

That is why I asked about decocking. I shot with a revolver and was told we had to shoot DA so I thought that they may make you shoot that way with a semi-auto.

When I got mine a few years ago this first shot had to be DA if you had a

DA/SA semi auto pistol. The PD Instructor where I took mine stated it had to due with theway you carried. My Father in Law used my 1911 and started at cocked and locked. This was four years ago. Might have changed.

Guest shadow12

The state doesn't mandate that you shoot double or single action, Phantom6 and I suggest that you shoot the way you will carry it. But we have had people that brought revolvers with extremely heavy double actions that we suggested they shoot single, they did fine after that.

Guest abailey362

the first shot in DA could be just from years with un-experienced shooters.

If I was around 15 people that had hardly ever held a gun before every saturday morning, I wouldn't want them pulling a hammer back on a 25 yr old revolver that they just dug out form a couch cushion that morning.

The state doesn't mandate that you shoot double or single action, Phantom6 and I suggest that you shoot the way you will carry it. But we have had people that brought revolvers with extremely heavy double actions that we suggested they shoot single, they did fine after that.

We were told that if shooting a revolver that the state required us to shoot DA only. I was shooting a hammerless Taurus .357 and had no choice but to shoot DA. Didn't matter, I hit them all. I think that you would have to really try hard not to pass!

We were told that if shooting a revolver that the state required us to shoot DA only. I was shooting a hammerless Taurus .357 and had no choice but to shoot DA. Didn't matter, I hit them all. I think that you would have to really try hard not to pass!

I can't swear to this, but I believe it's correct. I am a state certified instructor, however, I haven't taught a "basic" permit class in several years.

I don't think the state specifies whether the shooting has to be SA or DA.

If I remember correctly, the state says that the shooting should be done from between 3 and 25 yards. Some ranges only require shooting out to about 15 yards.