Trimming brass

What do you use to trim brass.

I have come into a bit of .45 braas and as I sit here sorting most are over .889.

I know this is one of those chevy/ford question but what is be best trimmer? Will also need to trim some 9mm in the future also.

Thanks for any advice.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you use to trim brass.

I have come into a bit of .45 braas and as I sit here sorting most are over .889.

I know this is one of those chevy/ford question but what is be best trimmer? Will also need to trim some 9mm in the future also.

Never trimmed any pistol brass before but if you ever need to trim bulk rifle brass the "lil crow trimmers" are incredible. They are caliber specific but worth the money if you do much. I'm not sure if they make them for pistol calibers.

Hey runningfree,

Not long ago I reloaded a batch of 200, 45acp brass 51 times just to see how many times they could go. This is with light target loads and cases belled at a min. Some  cases started splitting after about  25 trips but only a few , and when I tossed them they were really beat-up.

This is what you might want to hear, when I tossed them they were shorter than when first loaded. There is no need to trim pistol cases.  

Guest 6.8 AR

There are a lot of good trimmers. Mine is a Forster trimmer base with a drill press for the bit. I haven't trimmed

any pistol brass, yet, though. Once I get mine set up, I can fly through trimming the stuff. I'm sure all the others a

re good, also.

For rifle brass I chuck the cutter part of a Lee hand trimmer in my drill press then cut it on and put the brass in the little holder dude and hold em up to it. Seems like it'd be slow but ya get in a rythm and fly through them. Gotta be careful though. Never trimmed pistol brass