Is there a way to make the Black on Yellow targets?

OK, I'll say it right up front - I'm cheap. I usually shoot at paper plates for targets. You get like 500 of them for $2, and they're pretty sturdy. But I like to learn stuff, and I love a project.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to make something like those black targets that turn yellow when you shoot them.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say you could, but it would be more expensive than just buying them. You would have to start with green paint on a background, then come back with a second coat of black. Then paint your scoring circles on them. No thanks. I'll just print my targets off the internet at a cost of about $.01 each.

Guest hustle

My Dad is cheap too, and he spray paints his own targets on old posterboards. It gets close to the same effect, but of course it's not always perfect. Try getting some posterboard that is the neon yellow color. Get one that is a little glossy, and not too matte. Just cut it into the target size you want and spray paint it black. If you want to be fancy you can always lay strings on it before you paint it to get the circles. Here's the effect his homemade targets get when you hit around the paint.

target.jpg

I was actually thinking about trying to make some myself.

Take a sheet of waxed cardboard, like pastries come in, and spray paint a black bull on it. The paint will chip when struck by the bullet and show the color of the cardboard around the hole.

My favorite cheap rifle target for iron sights is an 8 or 9 inch black paper plate stapled to a white backer. My eyes ain't what they used to be.