MG-G4 Tactical Systems lower receiver review

whitewolf001

Well, I got a MG-G4 with PSA lpk, Magpul ACS stock, DD sling adapter, Magpul BAD, and two factory Colt 20 rnd mags for my time served helping my buddy run his shop on my days off from my normal job. Well, we got it put together and it came together in a snap BUT we had two major problems I noticed when assembled; number one being the finish, this is the absolute worst factory finish I have ever SEEN. I had noticed some debris in the description, I scratched it with my thumb nail and a flake of the finish came right off. I was floored by this and my jaw literally dropped. Well my bud, whom co-owns the shop I've been helping out at, went to Knob Creek this weekend and ran into the guys at MAG Tactical, they said that they've completely switched finishes within the last six months of production to Cerakote and that to just send it in and they will Cerakote it to any color of my choice. Well, this relieved some of my anger even though I could do it myself in 1/10 the time it would take to send it to them and have it done BUT I have yet to even scratch the surface of funds for my Faxon upper so I guess it's not so bad. The other thing I noticed was a fitment issue of the Bolt Catch Latch. It is VERY tight, like to the point where it is depressed, it slows down and stops about 80% through its cycle. Well some Gibbs and a small file fixed that issue though it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with... overall I am very pleased with it albeit there being those two exceptions, mostly due to the fact I have NO money tied up in this whatsoever and for the record we did two other lowers that had absolutely no fitment issues whatsoever and had no blemishes on the finish. It would appear that only some had issues and some do not. I hope they work out as all upstart companies sometimes have bugs to work out in the process. I must say that the PSA lpk is also flawless as expected, their triggers really are the best LPK triggers I have had the pleasure of dealing with. The Magpul ACS stock is too fregin sweet although a PAIN to install. For anyone that gets this stock, do NOT follow the directions and try to use the polymer snap cap that is included for install, use a punch or something that is, oh I don't know, metallic. Photos to follow!

I won't tell you "I told you so."  :rofl: 

I have no idea how that company is still in business. As I said in my previous post about this subject, they are garbage. And to think so many people have spent $160-$180 on those piles of ****. Nothing but a pile of **** wrapped in hype. Just my  :2cents: 

Did you give them any feedback sir? They can't fix a problem if they aren't aware of it. I plan on letting them know about the bolt catch area and they've already fixed the finish issue with Cerakote. If they continue to produce a product which doesn't meet customer expectations then yeah, they'll go outta business but calling it garbage and chalking it up to a loss and not telling them isn't going to do a thing about it main. Case in point; http://magtacticalsystems.com/index.php/2013-07-29-03-32-34/2013-08-01-17-32-25/product/10-black-lower#refund-exchange-policy

Edited by whitewolf001

Did you give them any feedback sir? They can't fix a problem if they aren't aware of it. I plan on letting them know about the bolt catch area and they've already fixed the finish issue with Cerakote. If they continue to produce a product which doesn't meet customer expectations then yeah, they'll go outta business but calling it garbage and chalking it up to a loss and not telling them isn't going to do a thing about it main. Case in point; http://magtacticalsystems.com/index.php/2013-07-29-03-32-34/2013-08-01-17-32-25/product/10-black-lower#refund-exchange-policy

Yes, they got feedback from me several months ago. Customer service was a complete nightmare.

They are going to have lot to lot issues because they are cast and all cast items, regardless of metal, will vary.

If weight savings is what you want grab a polymer lower. At least a plastic lower will be easier to repair than the MG-G4's aluminum/magnesium blend.

Ah I see. Not really my objective, thought it was cool and so I snagged it and a bunch of other stuff laying around the shop to build me a lower.

Yes, they got feedback from me several months ago. Customer service was a complete nightmare.

Ah, well that sucks... if QC continues to be an issue then they won't be open for long. Oh well, gotta keep saving for that Faxon ARAK21 that Dustbuster should TOTALLY sell me, lmao.

*UPDATE*-MagTactical is sending another lower straight to the shop cerakoted in my choice of color free of charge. Will update once it arrives, not sure if they want the old one back or not, I'm assuming so but the way they worded the email leaves me unsure, guess we'll find out on arrival.

Edited by whitewolf001
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, got in the new replacement lower. x1000 times better than the original with fitment and most assuredly finish. They sent me the new one and didn't ask for the old one back and there were no instructions to send back the old one, so I sold the old one to a bud of mine whom is currently ARless for $240 and told him he needs to duracoat the thing as the finish is garbage to which the money from this one contributed to buying a LBK for the new one andthe rest towards an LCP we had used in the shop, woo hoo!

Edited by whitewolf001

You sold your friend a stripped MAG Tactical lower for $240?

No sir, complete minus stock (*EDIT* I forgot, I gave him my old M4 PSA stock that came with my LBK), I couldn't do someone like that. I even showed him where all the finish was starting to come off. He's going to Duracoat it with Magpul OD green.

Edited by whitewolf001

You sold your friend a stripped MAG Tactical lower for $240?

After rereading my statement, I can see how doucheesque it must have sounded, haha. I figured about $110 for the complete LPK including grip and stock(which he immediately swapped out for Magpul stuff, lol.) and $130 for the lower which is our cost on it at the store.

I'll try to get some photos tonight of it after work. The Black contrasting with the FDE looks really good to me.

Edited by whitewolf001