Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40

Anyone tried one yet? Walmarts got a heck of a good price on them and I'm wanting a decent (great for the price) scope to go on my new 20" AR. The literature says it can "accurately place rounds in target to 600yards" which is the farthest I would take it. Honestly I'd be shooting more often at 100 yards but want the optics capabilities to far exceed that.

I know many people opt for a fixed 4x magnification, and I'm sure many people will recommend 3-12 magnification but I don't know, 4.5 may be a bit strong under 100 but not unreasonable I think.

The reason I like the bushnell is it has a magnification that I feel would work for what I want, it has a list of features that all sound nifty, even if I have little or no idea what they are or how to use them, plus the price is about inline with what I want to spend.

So, any thoughts one way or the other? I'd happily entertain other suggestions, concerns etc.

Also, can anyone recommend some good reading for a guy trying to familiarize himself better with scopes? I can spend hours on the google, but Id rather ask here as I know if I get a recommendation to read something from one of you all, it will be time well spent. I have a pretty basic knowledge, but I get lost once paralex(sp?) holdover, or even pretty much anything beyond turret, crosshairs, or lenses get brought up.

Thanks guy!
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had very good luck w/all of the Bushnell optics that I've owned over the years, they do not come with any bragging rights at the range but they do preform very well out in the field, at the least I've always have gotten my money's worth out of the Bushnell's I have owned.

Anyway IMHO 4.5x sounds like it would be plenty of magnification for what you want to do with it, the common trend/mistake of "over-magnifying" focuses only on a single aspect of a scope's utility, where as I believe that a wide FOV (field of view) is every bit as important as having enough magnification & clarity to put a round on target, especially a target that is moving.

Granted using a scope with a wide FOV is not a first consideration for recreational target &/or professional benchshooters, but it is important out in the field, as is weather resistance, ruggedness/durability, light gathering ability, etc.

There are a lot of good in-depth discussions & first-hand reviews on optics can be found on the snipershide forums, I don't want to hot-link it but a google search should bring it right up.