Help with a youth 20ga.

Guest cdsusong

Guest cdsusong

hey, looking for some ideas for my 11 year old son's trap gun. He currently has a Charles Daly pump 20ga. but he has to really stretch his left arm to grasp the forestock. I removed the butt plate and replaced it with an aluminum plate and a kick eze to help slightly. We are thinking of buying a Mossburg 505 youth 20ga. He has plenty of reach with it and we can add extensions as he grows. Do you guys have any other suggestions that we can look at?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 9 y.o. boy. I got him a Rossi youth combo in 22lr and 20 ga. They are single shot and come with a case. When he gets older you can order a adult stock for it.

They range from 120-150 dollars. Dick's and Academy carry them. The 22 barrel has fiber optic sights which helps to teach correct sight picture. It has been a great little gun.

Guest shortfri

It might be a little more money then you'd want to tie up in it, but i would r buy an extra stock and have it cut down to fit him. Then add a morgans adjustable pad. If you find a used stock, and buy a cheaper version of the morgans you'll only be out around a 100.00

Guest cdsusong

I looked at the Mossberg 500 Super Bantam today and this may be the route we go. It comes in the syn stock and has a 12 to 13" pull on it. I have had 3 Mossbergs myself and they have been very reliable. Of course I would like to get him a Benelli super nova but hey, $1200.....I may save that for the Beretta auto loader in a couple of years.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest derwin

I am an SCTP coach for Rookies and Middle School, and have been for a few years.

Sounds like he is a little small to start with. If that truly is the case, stay away from pump and single shot shotguns, regardless of who makes them. Pump and single shot shotguns deliver ALL of the kick back into the shoulder of the shooter. For the kids who need to shoot 100 rounds or more in less than 2 hours at a tournament, that is simply more than a lot of the smaller ones can take. Get him a 12 ga automatic like a Remington 1100 Classic Trap or even an 1100 field gun. It will kick him less than the 20 ga pump or single shot either one and it will fire reliably weekend after weekend, even when the kids "forget" to clean it and in all kinds of weather. Use the trap loads, 2 3/4 dram. Most trap ranges have them, so do a lot of the super outdoors stores.

Good luck!

Guest cdsusong

Thanks for the info. We actually went to a meeting last night for the "trap team" and they also recommended the 1100. I can buy into the less recoil from the auto loader but cost is a big eyebrow raiser! What would be a good price for a used 1100? I want to make sure he is up to the challenge before I soak $800 into another shotgun if you know what I mean.

Guest nitrous_mike

My dad got me a Winchester 20ga youth pump when I was 9/10 and I still use it for bird hunting. I actually love the short forearm/barrel for swinging in brush to get on a rabbit or bird.

Guest russman37801

Have you looked into the Remington Spartan line. They are not the most "purdy" shotgun out there, but the price is right for an auto-loader

Guest cdsusong

have not seen one. I looked it up on the net and it looks great. $450? read a few threads that stated that it was not the "purdyist" on the market but it would hit birds. also saw a thread that said the choke tube patterns were not the greatest. I will go to Bass Pro and see if they have one. The main thing is that my son can swing it for trap. I will let you know what we find. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cdsusong

Well I managed to get my hands on a 1100! Thanks to his grand paw! (he had one burried in a closet) Now I need to find a youth stock with adjustable comb. Anyone have one they would give up or know where the best place to get one? I saw one on Gunbroker but I think he has been smoking something. Please any info will help.