I'm curious what you get for your investment?
If its something cool and different then obviously but performance wise, what are you getting in return for everything it takes to tool up for an oddball caliber? Edited by Caster

Just dies and a barrel for an AR  and gets you over the "Larger than .24" for hunting deer restrictions some states have and a 100 grainer would answer any deer I have seen around here or the occasional coyote.

You get a heavier bullet (75-100 gr) more energy at distance (200 ft./Lbs. @ 300 yds. approx) with less drift, better BC/ flatter trajectory and cheaper to set up and run than any of the 6.8SPC II 6.5 Grendel etc. stuff  and if you don't like it just rebarrel back to .223 and carry on no special bolts,mags etc. you would only be out a barrel and dies

I keep looking back into it as another upper for an AR  but it hasn't bit me yet. I see no real advantage for 3-gun and you have to roll your own so if you run out, you are out where as the .223 almost everyone has a box or 2 and heavier bullet means a touch more recoil but being an AR, a .30 cal comp would take care of that I bet

Stumpy  the 6x45 in a bolt gun would be something with the .243 match bullets I bet you could shoot bug-holes. sort of a .243 Lite 

John

Edited by LngRngShtr
  • Like 1

The 6x45 had a wave of popularity in the '80's due to the lack of stopping power of the 55gr 5.56mm M193 ammo.  The advent of faster twist barrels for 5.56mm allowing heavier bullets pretty much killed the cartridge at that time.

It's an appealing concept.  As noted above, conversion is inexpensive and easy to do.  To me, the biggest limitation is still the limited powder capacity of the basic 5.56mm case. 

I went with the 6.5 Grendel as the most versatile cartridge available in the basic AR15 platform.  Fortunately, I bought a bunch of the Wolf brass-cased ammo when it was cheap and available.  If more ammo doesn't become available in the next six months, I'll have to stop shooting it for a while.

• Like 1

not to spark a 6x45 vs. 6.5 Grendel debate but..

the .223 runs out of bullet weight at about 69-70 grains unless you load long and hand feed still 30 grains shy of the 6x45 is it that much of an advantage ? depends on what you are shooting at I guess and not sure how heavy you can go in the 6x45 before hand feeding

the 6x45 has actually set benchrest records in the sporting class back before the 6mm PPC/6mmBR cartridges made the sport theirs the 6x45 and 6mmPPC are close ballistics wise

it is also an excellent starter cartridge for those who want to try a wildcat low initial investment, low disaster possibilities, established data etc.

depending on what he wants to do with it it should serve well as long as he works within the design parameters and doesn't try and run it like a 6.5 Grendel  :tough:

I agree bigger bullets are better depending on what you are wanting to do with it  but as far as I have seen if you vary away from .223 in an AR you just have to make sure you are packing enough ammo for your trip as any other caliber is, by law of averages scarce in any group of AR shooters, and I am funny about using other folks hand loads

More info as to what the OP has planned for his platform and this caliber would be needed to help him see if the 6x45 would be his "hot ticket"

in my case my caliber lineup jumps from .223 straight to .30-06 so I do suffer a perceived lack of middle ground there but handloads help I can always download my -06 but  maybe someday I'll revisit the .243 or 6x45mm to address that slot (the .243 being about 500 fps. faster than the 6x45) either way I can reform brass to make them if I have to and I have a bit of a stockpile of .308/.223 brass so I'm set there.

I enjoy wildcats too I have a pair of Herters revolvers in .401 Herters Magnum yeah a bit of work but being Single Actions I don't lose any of that hand prepped .30-30 brass

I believe anything that gets someone out burning powder is a good thing, they can defend their choice of caliber later after the match/hunt over a good cup of coffee with friends that is all a part of this great sport

John