.22 shortage, according to Win. rep

I agree with all of your points except about the profiteers.  When they cook up, perpetuate and (likely knowingly) spread false rumors and outright lies about the ammo situation just to try and goad a mark into paying 3X normal retail for a box of .22 ammo they are contributing to the panic and prolonging the shortage.  I haven't been to a gun show in several months but the last couple I went to I was already hearing the fairy tales coming from ammo 'dealers' with Walmart ammo stacked up in front of them.  In a few cases, I had to almost bite my tongue to stop myself from telling their mark that the dealer was spewing BS.  For that matter, there were a couple of times I didn't stop myself.

Consider for a moment what would happen if every reseller in the US suddenly stopped.  The demand doesn't go away, in fact it probably worsens, for several reasons.  As mentioned many times, all current and future (over the next 18-24 months) production is already pre-sold or contracted, no more production capacity will come online during that period. The demand level is still there, any ammo trickling in will be snapped up immediately, you still won't be able to shop at your convenience, except that you are also in contention with those who are willing to purchase the ammo now for the "inflated" prices, who's sources will have been removed from the market. Thus the flow of product is constant, but the one, reliable source of availability is now out of commission.  Like it or not, the resellers are providing a service to their consumers, namely the ability to walk up and purchase rimfire ammunition without stalking the aisles of WalMart stores and other retailers.  If they weren't providing a viable service, their business model wouldn't be as successful as it apparently is, and the whole practice would cease.  I don't think anyone who can read is actually still in "panic" mode, preppers excluded of course (who seem to be somewhat easily excited anyway), however many have seen the necessity of stockpiling some amount of .22 for future consumption, or maybe just peace of mind.  Until their wants are satisfied, or until they move on to some more attainable goals, demand will remain extraordinarily high, supply will remain constant, and the price that current production is sold for is essentially irrelevant to this equation, as is who provides the service.