becoming a gunsmith

This is just a curiosity more than anything, but what does it take to become a gunsmith? I've always loved tinkering, and taking apart/reassembling things. Is there a class, certification, or license? Is it a difficult process and does it involve federal licensing like a dealer?

Edited by fizik
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm. i'm just curious because they handle other people's guns all the time on a regular basis. not that a gunsmith would do something illegal or such, but hypothetically that's kinda scary. maybe i'm just running low on timfoil.:D:tinfoil:;):D:D

Guest Verbal Kint
hmm. i'm just curious because they handle other people's guns all the time on a regular basis. not that a gunsmith would do something illegal or such, but hypothetically that's kinda scary. maybe i'm just running low on timfoil.:D:tinfoil:;):D:D

I'm sure it's no different than a mechanic working on your car. If they caused your weapon to malfunction, or an injury results from their work, then they are liable if you can prove it was due to their services. Likewise, if a mechanic didn't bolt down your calipers correctly during a brake job, and you wreck your car, they are accountable if you can prove it was their fault.

This is where researching your gunsmith, keeping documented records, and inspecting & function checking your weapon all come into play.

Just as you want to be picky and make sure you take your vehicle to someone has has been professionally trained and/or certified, you want to be picky about who you let wrench on your gun. ;)

Guest Rugerman
You'll need an FFL if you're going to take work in "over night."

Without an FFL, are you able to legally profit from your services if the gun is in and out the door the same day?

Guest Verbal Kint

I'm not an expert, so I'll let Joe or one of the other FFL's comment. But here's my understanding...

My take is that yes you definitely need an FFL to take a weapon in for work. The gun needs to be logged in/out and records kept, regardless of the period of time that the weapon remains on site. I'm not sure receiving monetary compensation factors in or not. You are definitely required to have the proper storage and security in place for longer periods of stay. While gunsmithing doesn't necessarily require formal training, it is a regulated trade (BATFE) and there is a specific FFL category just for gunsmithing. There are a lot of steps that must be met, and certain safeguards must be in place.

If I'm incorrect, someone else can post the factual info. I'm just trying to remember, best I can, from when I looked into acquiring an FFL before for gunsmithing reasons.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Clarity. Typos.
I'm sure it's no different than a mechanic working on your car. If they caused your weapon to malfunction, or an injury results from their work, then they are liable if you can prove it was due to their services. Likewise, if a mechanic didn't bolt down your calipers correctly during a brake job, and you wreck your car, they are accountable if you can prove it was their fault.

This is where researching your gunsmith, keeping documented records, and inspecting & function checking your weapon all come into play.

Just as you want to be picky and make sure you take your vehicle to someone has has been professionally trained and/or certified, you want to be picky about who you let wrench on your gun. :up:

i was actually implying one could commit a crime with someone else's gun. but i see and hear your point there, well taken. and thanks for the info guys, i'm waiting for someone with for sure specific knowledge to chime in now :drool:

I went back and consulted the ATF rules.

There is no mention of training requirements, but you have to have an FFL if you are engaged in business as a "gunsmith."

As far as committing a crime, all firearms that are left for work (not while you wait) must be logged in the Bound Book.

Guest macmonkey

I'm sure that most of us want to be a gunsmith on one level or another if nothing else then to be able to fix / modify our own weapons. There's something to be said about an education garnered in a school environment vs. something you taught yourself.

Not that there's anything wrong with teaching yourself - I make my living off of something that I taught myself but what takes 4 years to understand may take 6 months in a classroom.

I'm sure it's a priceless investment.

Guest shortfri

It helps to have some machinist skills along with some knowledge of firearms. I took a at home gun repair, while taking machine shop. After i completed the course i found out you had to have a FFL to work on weapons execpt blackpowder. I didn't get mine and just worked on guns i bought. I did some appraisal work for a auction company a couple of weeks ago. I knew from the past that you could appraise weapons without a license but wanted to confirm this with the ATF. I called the Nashville office and was told that you can work on firearms as long as you don't keep them overnight, but it would be better to just have the license so if something came up from you working on a gun.

Now i have the tools and knowledge, just not the want to deal with the general public. I saw a master gunsmith get fussed at for a long time by an old farmer that wanted his taped,wired and whatnot together stock fixed for less then ten dollars. I asked if there were many like him , The gunsmith said too many, i'm glad i just do this for fun. He was retrired from the army, so he didn't have to worry about his work paying the bills.

You'll need an FFL if you're going to take work in.

And that is the problem.

I’m a Toolmaker and guns have always been a hobby, so I think I have (or could gain) the skills to be a Gunsmith.

However… that is impossible where I live unless I either have a building in an area zoned commercial or work for someone else. I don’t see either of those as an option.

I don’t think you have to have an FFL to take work in; but I could be wrong. I’m not aware of any law that would keep me from working on a gun in the shop where I work.

But you certainly would have to have one to ship or receive.

Edited by DaveTN