17 HMR 5 shot group???

Guest billwilly73

Guest billwilly73

I have a bone stock, no mods Ruger M77/17 with a BSA 3x9x50 scope that I traded for, and I was wondering what kind of 5 shot group I can expect to get from it at 50 yards? What kind of groups are you all getting with a 17HMR at 50 yards and what kind of rifle?

This is my first 17 HMR and can't wait to go shoot it!!!!!!:D

Guest Crunchman

Mine was a bone stock Marlin 917 V and at 50 yards, a one hole 5 shot group was no problem. I took the action/barrel out and put it in a Richards Micro-Fit stock, floated the barrel, bedded the action, and put a Guidegear 4x16 scope on it. Five shot, 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards are common as long as I do my part. Hitting a prarie dog sized swinger at 200 is challenging, but doable, usually 6 out 10 times, as long as I read the wind right. Here's a pic of mine after all the work on it,

917Vcustom001.jpg

Edited by Crunchman
add pic

I have a Marlin 917V and its a little tack driver. You can expect little bitty one hole groups at 50 yds if you do your part. The round is very accurate, except when the wind is up. Have fun you'll enjoy it.

Guest Traumaslave

I have a Savage BTVS with a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40. I'm holding 1/4 inch groups at 100 yrds all day long. I have to say this is by far my favorite bolt action rifle in my stable. Ground hogs and yotes don't stand a chance with one of these.

Guest Rem_700
I have a Marlin 917V and its a little tack driver. You can expect little bitty one hole groups at 50 yds if you do your part. The round is very accurate, except when the wind is up. Have fun you'll enjoy it.
What he said,I have the same gun and they are very accurate.
Guest billwilly73

I got to shoot it today I only shot it 5 shots as I had other guns to sight in and not a whole lot of time. Anyways 4 of 5 are touching and I can cover all 5 with a penny.......i'm pretty sure the gun shoots a heck of alot better than I do.........all in all I am very pleased and can't wait till I have more time to shoot.

Guest logansdad

Your first experience will likely become quite monotonous the more you play with the .17HMR. My Savage .17 is not only my favorite rifle in the safe, but also my 12 and 8 year old sons' favorite. Check Midsouth Shooters Supply for ammo. You can buy Hornady 17gr V-MAX or 20gr XTP for $10/box every day. All the other .17HMR brands are available there for about $11.50/box.