Smith and Wesson 940

I am Groot!

I recently took my fathers 940 to the range, this is the first time that I shot it since he passed away about a year ago. It shoot great, but when I went to clean it, I had some questions about the numbers on the gun. I am not interested in the value, trading or selling, just want to know about the numbers.

I am sure there is someone who is willing to impart there knowledge about the numbers stamped into the gun. I am particularly interested in the 010 and what is the sticker 41?

The picture that is hard to see say 2117 010. The only marking on the cylinder and it's swing arm, not sure what to call it, is 010.

In the second picture there is only MOD 940 stamped. The other pics that I have seen on line when I did not own research there was a number above the MOD 940

Thanks in advance for your help.

th_d0238d218ca85ef787a72e798cf358ec_zpsa

th_f654879a3a4b3121de6540441bf9c00b_zpsc

th_95810dbf5950279e426ff521a1f2e144_zps3

th_eb9589b79e44c3ecbffc0fb8b021ebea_zpsc

th_c0463a30bf8e3d878f9a8da00b2c7be1_zpse

Edited by Odessa7979
Nice piece! Other than the serial number on the butt and te model number 940, the other numbers do not mean much. You can contact Roy Jinks, s&w's historian and get a complete build date and history of the gun for $50. That piece is well deserving of the letter and adds to it's immense value.
  • Like 1

The 940 was in production from 1991 to 1998. 

BKRxxxx is the serial number.  Using the data found on page 400 of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, this 940 was built sometime between mid 1991 to early 1992.  This is an approximate timeframe since S&W would often use the 3 letter prefixes out of sequence.

You can call Smith & Wesson Customer Service at (800) 331-0852 and they will give you the actual "Date of Birth" of your Father's 940. 

All of the other markings are assembly numbers and/or inspection marks.

Nice firearm!

Edited by DMark
  • Like 1
Nice wheel gun and good question's but for safety's sake I recommend you redact the SN information and blur same in the photograph as well. What you own is a treasured heirloom that is a lasting legacy of your late Father's, treasure it and remember his memory every time you handle or shoot it.
I thought that it was the inspector signature. Thanks

Thanks for the heads up on serial number. Using any of the items that were my fathers always makes me feel close to him, as I am sure that it does with most of you. I look forward to giving it to one of my sons one day.