EGW gas block

The gas block I ordered arrived with the port drilled in the front of the block, opposite the tube opening in the rear. So the block port is in the front, and the barrel port is in the rear, and the tube port is lined up with the barrel port, with no connecting port between. Anyone else ever had this happen? 

I'll get some pictures when I get home this evening, but it's just as I described: The gas block hole for the tube is in the normal rear position (towards the receiver), but the block gas port is is the front (i.e. closed) end of the gas block. In other words, when I install the tube, insert tube retaining pin, and install the block onto the barrel, (abutting the shoulder on said barrel), the gas port drilled in the gas block is to the front. about 1/2-3/4" away from the barrel port. So the tube orifice is facing an undrilled section of aluminum blocking the gas path from the barrel. I could simply bore the tube hole completely through, and tap the then unused open side for a set screw to seal it, since the thing will then install either way.   It's an EGW clamp-on .875" gas block.

Edited by 79troublehead

EGW-30612-2.jpg

I don't get it. Gas tube goes in the upper hole and secured by pin through the small hole in side.

Are you saying there's no channel from the part that secures to the barrel up through top of block to mate with the hole in the gas tube?

It's this one, right, not talking about something wrong with adjustable model right?:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2160523437/egw-gas-block-single-picatinny-rail-clamp-on-ar-15-lr-308-standard-barrel

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yep. Looking at the picture, the gas tube goes in from the left into the block, secured by the roll pin through the side hole shown. Now between the left side with the gas tube hole and the roll pin hole there should be a hole communicating between barrel and gas tube, through the block. The one I got had the gas port hole drilled on the right hand side (looking at the picture), with no way, no how, to port gas from barrel to tube. EGW said send it back, Midway said send it back, I drilled and reamed the tube hole completely thru, aligned the tube port with the existing gas port, and viola! the block port aligned with the barrel port as if made for it. which, undoubtedly it was. I tapped the original (factory) tube opening for a 5mm set screw plug and it works as Stoner said it should.  Someone just had a bad day on the CNC machine at EGW. If it would have been a .750" block I would have ordered another and said done, but .875 blocks are fewer and harder to find, for some reason. Anyways, i was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else, as this is my first upper build.

• Like 1

Yep. Looking at the picture, the gas tube goes in from the left into the block, secured by the roll pin through the side hole shown. Now between the left side with the gas tube hole and the roll pin hole there should be a hole communicating between barrel and gas tube, through the block. The one I got had the gas port hole drilled on the right hand side (looking at the picture), with no way, no how, to port gas from barrel to tube. EGW said send it back, Midway said send it back, I drilled and reamed the tube hole completely thru, aligned the tube port with the existing gas port, and viola! the block port aligned with the barrel port as if made for it. which, undoubtedly it was. I tapped the original (factory) tube opening for a 5mm set screw plug and it works as Stoner said it should.  Someone just had a bad day on the CNC machine at EGW. If it would have been a .750" block I would have ordered another and said done, but .875 blocks are fewer and harder to find, for some reason. Anyways, i was just wondering if this had happened to anyone else, as this is my first upper build.

Bizarre. Would think the internal gas port in the block would be there by virtue of the original casting or whatever, not added by machining afterwards, but admit I don't know much about those processes.

- OS

If you look at the bottom, they drill through the compression gap. Just something to notice if you put one together and there's an issue with cycling. Easy to fix, though. If I had to guess, I'd say they buy the aluminum extrusion, saw it to length, and then to the cnc for indexing, boring, drilling, and slotting. One gets rolled around on the feed table during the process, and you've bored the gas tube from the wrong end. Easy to miss.

Edited by 79troublehead
  • Like 1