First Time IDPA 3-Gun

Guest macmonkey

Guest macmonkey

Hey Guys,

I've never done a 3-gun and don't know what to expect. I would like to shoot the 3 gun this weekend in Dickson but am a little weary of my rifle.

I plan on shooting:

Pistol: 1911

Shotgun: Mossberg 590

I've got a DPMS AR15 that is really more suited for ground/bench fire and is very heavy. The barrel is similar to the one in this image:

dpms_rfa2-308.jpg

It's pretty heavy to run around with.

My question is - are the rifle stages shot from a bench or prone or is it pretty much run & gun?

I'm building a much more portable gun but waiting until next week to order the upper that I want.

Any help is appreciated.

dpms_rfa2-308.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nashvillebill

Macmonkey-Is this a menu item at McDonalds resturants in China?

I'm told there's gonna be pesky poppers at 75 yards. That long heavy barrel could be a plus.

Guest nashvillebill
I run with a bull barrel without too much issue

Pesky poppers again? Middle aged eyes and 1x optics suck for that.

Tell me about it. I'm using iron sights. I only have five 30 round mags, I might be in trouble.

Guest tcampbell

The poppers will be at 85 yards..not 75 :D

Some rifle shots may be around 5 yards..

I am going to use my iron sights for the close shots...and the scope for the 85 yard...my eyeballs don't go that far

The poppers will be at 85 yards..not 75 ;)

I'm guessing that the 85 yd poppers will be on the woods walk section? Too bad ya'll couldn't get them out to 100, then everyone would be talking about their old eyes.:D

It sounds like fun I plan on being there.

I would bring the bull barrel, it shouldn't matter that much.

Guest tcampbell
I'm guessing that the 85 yd poppers will be on the woods walk section? Too bad ya'll couldn't get them out to 100, then everyone would be talking about their old eyes.:death:

It sounds like fun I plan on being there.

I would bring the bull barrel, it shouldn't matter that much.

May be on the rifle range on the other side...not really sure where Jim is setting them up at for this one.

Guest abailey362

should be fine.....you're not running a marathon, just a few steps and the accuracy on the long shots will make up for any time that it slows you down.

I'd personally be more worried about shooting a 1911 when you can shoot much higher cap handguns with no load max like IDPA. those reload times will hurt much more than slower running with a varmit rifle

Guest macmonkey

Guys, I really appreciate the input. I'm going to take one of my AK's AND my AR15 and just take a walk around the levels when I get there. I've shot my AK out to 100 yards with a pretty consistent group. I'll make sure to wear my turban as well. I'm looking forward to this one.

rstandly - thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it.

Guest abailey362

depends on the COF. some require to be carried slung, some you pick up the rifle during the stage, or abandon the rifle during the stage, so no need for retention

I don't think I have ever heard the phrase "Street Legal" Rifle or Shotgun only with vehicles to be driven on the street.

I have seen several matches only allow select fire weapons ie "No Full Auto" which may or may not have been the intent.

I must also say I would like for all my competitors to shoot Short Barrelled Rifles and Shotguns (SBR's & SBS's) as I'm convinced there is no advantage in an AVERAGE 3 Gun Match YMMV;)

EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS, RULES, PROCEDURES, AND ROUNDS COUNTS

MUSIC CITY TACTICAL SHOOTERS 3-GUN MATCH - 11/01/2008

Equipment Requirements & Rules:

- IDPA Divisions will apply for handguns.

- IDPA Rules will apply for handguns.

- IDPA Rules will apply for handgun holsters and magazine carriers.

- Any street legal shotgun (No NFA firearms) may be used.

- Shotguns may use open or optical sights.

- Shotguns with box magazines will be subject to IDPA magazine change rules.

- Shotshells will be limited to #7 ½, #8, or #9 shot only.

- Spare shotshells may be carried on shotgun, pockets, belt carrier or arm carrier.

- Any street legal rifle (no NFA firearms) may be used.

- Rifles may use open or optical sights.

- .223 or 5.56 minimum caliber rifle ammunition must be used.

- No round larger than .30-06 / .308 may be used.

- No magnum rifle rounds may be used.

- No steel core or tracer ammunition may be used.

- No magazines with a capacity greater than 30 rounds may be used (no snail drums or Beta Mags).

- Spare magazines / ammunition may be carried on belt holder or in pocket.

- Chamber Flags are required for all Shotguns and Rifles.

Procedures & Scoring:

- IDPA Procedures & nomenclature will be used.

- IDPA Paper targets will be used.

- IDPA Scoring will be used.

Round Counts:

- Pistol - 61 Rounds minimum.

- Rifle - 47 Rounds minimum.

- Shotgun

Shotshell - 12 Rounds minimum.

Slugs - 15 Rounds minimum.

Total Match Rounds: 135 Rounds minimum.

I am not sure what NFA means.

How short is the barrel?

I think he means anything that the ATF say is legal to own by the average guy.

I have taken a back seat on this match, I want to see how it goes before I say to much.

NFA == National Firearms Act which I believe started in 1934 requiring people to register Full Autos, SBRs, SBSs Supressors ect and pay a $200 Tax.

All of the above are legal to own by the average guy / Non Felon by filling out the paper work and paying the $200 tax.

Robert S. I hate to hear you are not leading the charge as I have told several people it would be a good match if you were involved.

As for Robert F. I think he has a 11.5" SBR which I would let him shoot:)

Robert S. why cant I use my sbr?

can the rules be changed for next year?

also do not forget i would like to shoot 2nd at lease on the shotgun.

only if i could type, it is suppose to say 2nd GUN.

MC is right it is a 11.5" barrel and it is definitely not an advantage at a 3 gun match, right now, to much recoil. next year i hope to try a brake on it. i am sure it will never be racy but it is fun!

MC is right it is a 11.5" barrel and it is definitely not an advantage at a 3 gun match, right now, to much recoil. next year i hope to try a brake on it. i am sure it will never be racy but it is fun!

I can't believe you have admitted this and even put it in writing. We will be getting mileage from this for years to come....:D